1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video/audio sync

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mephistopheles, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be posting a separate thread shortly about my new HCPC, with which I'm completely delighted.

I have a Sapphire Radeon 9500 NP with Cat 3.2's and an XCapture getting S-Video (768x576 (768x288)) from JS box II with DScaler 4.6a into a Mitsubishi 37" 4:3 monitor at 1280x1024 (or 1024x768 - I can't decide if there's any difference) and a Revolution 7.1 with the Revo Control Panel into a Cyrus 2 + PSX stereo amp with Sonus Faber Electras to watch NTL digital cable.

The picture and sound quality are utterly fantastic, particularly with the new Cat 3.2's, which seem to have improved the colours quite a bit for me over 3.1's. (I still have the same horizontal wavy, interference like, lines and slight picture distortion and stuttering when starting ATi Control Panel, though, but it has so far actually started without first having several abortive attempts).

I have a sound delay of anything up to half a second, depending on which sample rate I select. If this might just be my old trusty Cyrus 2 I can live with it until I can afford a surround amp and more speakers. If it's because I'm using the Revo, then how can I delay the video to sync the 2 streams? There's no difference to the delay with Surround TX on/off and no sync issues with internal DVD source.

Also, do I have to use a second capture card to be able to record and watch simultaneously, or have I missed an adjustment somewhere?

Finally, I saw a post recently for, I think, a Direct Sound filter, maybe German (?), but I can't find it anywhere through searches, either here or on AVS. Maybe I remember wrongly (I'm getting old), but it seemed worth having whatever it was.

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!!??!!

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reclock ?

http://ogo.nerim.net/reclockfilter

With respect to the delay, I dont think resyncing clocks will resolve this issue.. Reclock IMO is around resolving "jerky playback" as opposed to lengthy lip sync type issues...

When you refer to sample rates, what application are you using, is there a delay when using a standard software DVD Player?...

lots of questions rather than answers - sorry..
    put as much detail down in the thread and someone will reply - good luck...!!

Cheers
    Paul

4. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul. Actually, I found I had made a note of Reclock after all, so I got that late last night.

The sync issue on NTL cable is resolved simply by reducing the sample rate to 41KHz in the Revo control panel, which is presumably the 'delivery' rate via NTL cable. I had been using 48KHz and upwards because it seemed to sound better. It seems to make logical sense that that would create a sync problem. I'll mess about with Reclock anyway and see if it has any impact, but I'll just stick with 41KHz for NTL quite happily otherwise, and I have no problems with software DVD etc.

I'm just left puzzled by being unable to 'preview' and capture to HDD simultaneously, even using VirtualVCR (http://www.digtv.ws/), which claims to make this possible through its Smart Tee feature, or any other such application I've tried, incl. PowerVCRII, AMCap etc etc even without video or audio compression.

I have quite a lot of questions regarding capture generally, but I'll post a separate thread specifically on that issue.