Video / Audio Sync problem using IVI?

Sebastalona

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I've just finished converting a blu ray of The Adventures of Tintin for iTunes. Everything appeared to work fine (the metadata, resolution etc). However, I previewed it on my iMac and the audio/video is slightly out of sync.

I used the ATV 3 settings before encoding. Is it because I am playing it back on the iMac? I've not set the ATV up to test on that yet.

When creating the MKV, I took out all but the English audio tracks. Could I have messed something up there? Should I have chosen the audio etc in iVI?

Incidently, I converted the same MKV file in Handbrake (although I used the Universal settings that time) and the audio was perfectly in sync.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to know for future reference before starting to mass convert!

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

I've made an MKV file again, but this time I just ripped the whole title and didn't mess with the audio selections before exporting.

These are the Video/Audio and Subtitle screens from iVI that it has defaulted to after adding the MKV file. Does anything look untoward? I'm starting the conversion again, so I guess I will see how it goes!

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

I have used IVI for some time now and never had any sync issues. Strange that HandBrake works though, considering that IVI using the back end of HandBrakes encoder.

What settings are you using btw? I would make sure you have only the ATV3 box ticked for the output, enable PassThru, set the quality to max, refresh rate to match source and then try the conversion using just a single English audio track.

Then see how you get on. Not at my Mac to check my other settings but will do if this doesn't help.

I have noticed the Force Video Sync and Force Audio Sync buttons but never used them. You could always try those Nd do a test run?

bpsmith said:
I have used IVI for some time now and never had any sync issues. Strange that HandBrake works though, considering that IVI using the back end of HandBrakes encoder.

What settings are you using btw? I would make sure you have only the ATV3 box ticked for the output, enable PassThru, set the quality to max, refresh rate to match source and then try the conversion using just a single English audio track.

Then see how you get on. Not at my Mac to check my other settings but will do if this doesn't help.

I have noticed the Force Video Sync and Force Audio Sync buttons but never used them. You could always try those Nd do a test run?

Thanks for the input mate. I've done
another MKV file but just ripped the movie without removing any of the audio options. I already chose the ATV3 setting only and chose passthrough. I didn't change the quality though, just left it on normal. Does this drastically increase quality / file size?

Not too sure about refresh rate either, I was hoping the preset would take care of all of that. From the pics above, should I just have selected one of the surround tracks?

One possible reason is on occasion DVD/BD's can come with a delay built into the audio track, MakeMKV writes the delay into the mkv container and encoders see that so they know to apply a delay of x miliseconds to the audio track when converting. It's plausible the developer of IVI simply has overlooked this despite his use of Handbrake as the back end he may have changed things.

Refresh rate should be left alone usually.

I'd do what bpsmith suggest and try it with passthru set that copies the original DD 5.1 audio track into the m4v container.

Upping the bitrate will mean higher quality video but will result in far bigger file sizes. If you want to get to BluRay quality then you need to set the bitrate to max.

I only mentioned refresh rate, as mine had defaulted to 30fps and was converting everything to start with. I then changed it to Same As Source so that it didn't try and convert my 24fps stuff to 30fps etc. I agree that it shouldn't be messed around with so setting Same As Source is the best way.

Well, encode finished and still the same issue! I was quite excited about starting this process, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered if it's hit and miss.

I've started ANOTHER one on Handbrake, but this time using the ATV 2 preset. If it can up the quality over the Universal setting, whilst keeping the audio correct, the I think I'll stick with Handbrake.

3rd time lucky! In the meantime, if anyone could post screenshots of their iVI settings for blu ray rips I would be very grateful. Just to see if there are any obvious differences.

Personally I would untick the Pass-Thru option on this particular file, as the bit rate is 28600.00 which the aTV or your network will probably struggle with, and also tick both the sync options.
Have you tried playing the original source rip on the iMac to see if that is totally in sync, as if it has the slight BR delay as mentioned previously, handbrake will re-encode and sync both, whereas iVI will not if you have Pass-Thru enabled.
You have 3x English audio tracks selected, are all three out of sync or just the DTS converted one?
What was the bit rate of the file once you'd run it through Handbrake?

PassThru only works up to the Bitrate you have set in the preferences of IVI. The Max Bitrate in IVI is 12Mb do you shouldn't get the full BluRay bitrate anyway.

I would suggest trying a different BluRay to see if the same thing happens. Perhaps one with real people rather than animated?

bpsmith said:
PassThru only works up to the Bitrate you have set in the preferences of IVI. The Max Bitrate in IVI is 12Mb do you shouldn't get the full BluRay bitrate anyway.?

I thought this also, but had an issue just recently where it wasn't re-encoding when over the 12mb, I contacted iVI support and sent them some log files etc, they said a fix should be in the next build and as a work around to untick pass-thru on larger bitrate files if iVI isn't automatically converting it correctly.

Well the Handbrake encode works perfectly using the same MKV file. It looks pretty decent, so I think I'm just going to use it with Subler over iVI until I can figure out what's going wrong (which may mean never!).

Did you try a different BluRay and/or the Force Sync options after?

Also, you can still use IVI for the MetaData, even if you use HandBrake for the actual conversion. Just load converted file into IVI and then double click it to check the MetaData and the click the save to current file option on bottom left. Then remove the file from IVI, being very careful as to choose to keep it rather than delete original. :)

Also, you can still use IVI for the MetaData, even if you use HandBrake for the actual conversion.

Actually, I've just hit a problem with that, this very morning. Added metadata with iVI to something i'd ripped with handbrake a while ago, now when opening the file in the finder it defaults to Quicktime 7. Drag & drop onto QTX just opens in 7 again. Any ideas?

The other thing to keep in mind is the time needed, I converted my whole catalogue of TV shows (2000+ episodes) and Movies (400+) from MKV to M4V and only had to revert to Handbrake a couple of times for 'stubbon' files that needed a full re-encode (which can take a couple of hours per movie depending on settings etc), for the rest of the files a simple run through iVI for a repack and the times varied between 10 minutes to 60 minutes. Was much more of a smooth complete operation.

Actually, I've just hit a problem with that, this very morning. Added metadata with iVI to something i'd ripped with handbrake a while ago, now when opening the file in the finder it defaults to Quicktime 7. Drag & drop onto QTX just opens in 7 again. Any ideas?

Press CTRL and click the file (or right click) then select get Info, where it says open with, select the program of choice then select change all (if required) and it should then open back up in your favourite viewer.

+1

IVI saved me weeks in converting my 4.5TB of Movies and TV Shows. The repack is a life saver, as is the built in MetaData and the ability to load in multiple files at once which is far quicker than doing them individually with HandBrake. Also the ability to set IVI to monitor a folder and post conversion options too, which means all you have to do is drop a file into your monitored folder and it pretty much does the rest.

I too still have random stuff that IVI appears to convert, but it shows as a few hundred KB and obviously doesn't play. Just monitor your output and keep the originals to run through HandBrake.

Did you try a different BluRay and/or the Force Sync options after?

Also, you can still use IVI for the MetaData, even if you use HandBrake for the actual conversion. Just load converted file into IVI and then double click it to check the MetaData and the click the save to current file option on bottom left. Then remove the file from IVI, being very careful as to choose to keep it rather than delete original. :)

Thanks mate, I'm in the process of trying a more conventional film just now.

You need to check your file associations I guess? What file type is it? Depends on what codecs are within it?

Try it with a newly converted file and post back.

Hey bpsmith, do you stick with the DVD style covers for TV Shows, as I've stumbled across a really cool way to get the 600x600 square icons that iTunes uses and it looks lovely on the aTV rather than having spaces at the side. ;)

Screen%20Shot%202012-07-24%20at%2013.08.21.png
Screen%20Shot%202012-07-24%20at%2013.08.29.png

You need to check your file associations I guess? What file type is it? Depends on what codecs are within it?

It was originally ripped from DVD using handbrake ATV2 setting. It originally opened in QTX fine, but iVI metadata (no conversion) has somehow made it default to QT7.

Subsequent files have been fine, so i'll just leave it as a 'one off' for now, unless it starts doing it regularly.

Hey bpsmith, do you stick with the DVD style covers for TV Shows, as I've stumbled across a really cool way to get the 600x600 square icons that iTunes uses and it looks lovely on the aTV rather than having spaces at the side. ;)

Please do share with us all

I've made an MKV file again, but this time I just ripped the whole title and didn't mess with the audio selections before exporting.

These are the Video/Audio and Subtitle screens from iVI that it has defaulted to after adding the MKV file. Does anything look untoward? I'm starting the conversion again, so I guess I will see how it goes!

Guy's, sorry to quote myself on this again! I just noticed on the first screenshot I took above there is a 'force video sync' and 'force audio sync' option to select. Do you think these might solve my issue if selected? Has anyone used these options before?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom