Video & Audio become out of sync...

martinlest

Novice Member
Hi. I have a fairly old DVD recorder-player (Sony RDR-HXD870) connected (via HDMI cable) to a much newer TV (Philips 50PUS6504_12). My problem is that, though the picture quality is excellent, during playback the video and audio are constantly drifting apart, should you pause the playback, for instance.

I just bought the complete Game of Thrones on DVD and this problem is really starting to become irritating - things usually start off well, but the moment I interrupt the playback in any way, (pause it most commonly, while I fetch some more wine or whatever), the audio & video go quite badly out of sync (up to five seconds). To get them back together, the only thing that works (eventually) is to pause the playback again, or often you need to rewind a little, pause again.. and so on. It's getting to be ridiculous. Then of course, if you need to pause the playback again, you have to go through the same nonsense..

I was going to buy a new DVD player (this one has no audio/video sync facility that I can find); but maybe that's not the issue. Can anyone kindly advise? I am not very 'techy', I am afraid (much more so in PCs, but not in the field about which I am posting), so no good blinding me with science on this please! :) Sorry if I have omitted some vital information as a result! Just ask...

Thank you,

Martin

Last edited:
Hi. I have a fairly old DVD recorder-player (Sony RDR-HXD870) connected (via HDMI cable) to a much newer TV (Philips 50PUS6504_12). My problem is that, though the picture quality is excellent, during playback the video and audio are constantly drifting apart, should you pause the playback, for instance.

I just bought the complete Game of Thrones on DVD and this problem is really starting to become irritating - things usually start off well, but the moment I interrupt the playback in any way, (pause it most commonly, while I fetch some more wine or whatever), the audio & video go quite badly out of sync (up to five seconds). To get them back together, the only thing that works (eventually) is to pause the playback again, or often you need to rewind a little, pause again.. and so on. It's getting to be ridiculous. Then of course, if you need to pause the playback again, you have to go through the same nonsense..

I was going to buy a new DVD player (this one has no audio/video sync facility that I can find); but maybe that's not the issue. Can anyone kindly advise? I am not very 'techy', I am afraid (much more so in PCs, but not in the field about which I am posting), so no good blinding me with science on this please! :) Sorry if I have omitted some vital information as a result! Just ask...

Thank you,

Martin
Almost certainly a handshake issue between the two. Probably not much to be done unfortunately, mixing older tech with the new often throws up issues that are only cured by upgrading the whole chain to current spec - in this case a Blu ray player, which can still of course play DVDs. Budget blu ray spinners are relatively inexpensive, and would of course future proof you for 4K, Atmos etc.

Upvote 0

martinlest

Novice Member
Funny you should reply at this moment - I have just this minute tried the DVDs in another player (Panasonic, still rather old, admittedly) and there were no sync issues. So next stop, Amazon...

I suppose, though I don't have any blue ray discs, a blue ray player might be worth it, in case I do ever buy any (as I watch opera, classical concerts and so on, I am more interested in hifi sound than ultra-sharp- picture quality though: if I can get both, so much the better!).

Thanks.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom