1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video archiving

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sidefall, Feb 8, 2005.

1. sidefall

sidefall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm trying to decide the best way to archive my video collection. I have about 80 hours of video on SVHS and Hi8 with original recordings of theatrical productions I've been involved in. There's no commercial issues or copyright to worry about, but it does have huge sentimental value, and it's irreplacable. But it's also taking up space and the tapes are no doubt deteriorating. So I'm thinking of digitising it all, and I want to preserve it in the safest manner which also minimising the size of the collection.

I could put it all onto DVD-RAM. However 40 cartridge DVD-RAM discs take up a lot of space and are pricey. I'd also probably want two copies of everything for security. I suppose I could have one set on non-cartridge DVD-RAM to save space. Any ideas about the durability of these - how sensitive are they to scratches?

I could also do it on DVD-R, but these are probably less durable than DVD-RAM, cartridge or otherwise. There's also the question of the video format. Can I burn the VRO files from the DVD-RAM to DVD-R? Reason being that I might need to edit clips from the video in the future, and I believe that it's awkward to do this with VOB files. If so, would I be able to play them on my E95, or would I have to copy them to a DVD-RAM first?

But the reason why I'm posting in the computer forum is that all the above seems a bit antiquated. You can get 250gb hard drives for £90-ish, which will store 50 DVDs of video - 100 hours or so. So I'm thinking of building a file server PC with lots of storage - probably using a raid controller to give dual redundancy. My main concern is that the only place I could put this computer is in a small cupboard - I live in a one bed flat with very little space. The ventilation is limited and I'm worried about heat. I'd also need a small case (no need for expansion cards) but with plenty of drive bays. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Alternatively you can now get mini-nas boxes, although they are still a bit pricey compared to external USB/firewire drives.

I've rambled on a bit and I hope it all makes sense, but hopefully you get the idea about what I'm looking to do and what my concerns are. Any help as to the best way to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

2. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting. I had/have a similar requirement for hours of family home video. Admitedly I started a while back, when the options were more limited, but I went via MPEG to DVD-R. I have a set of "master" DVD-R which hold the MPEG files, and act as the source if ever I need to edit anything together. From each MPEG DVD-R I've then created a DVD format DVD-R. Main reason is that the audience for the material is my wife and kids. My wife doesn't want to have to start the PC to watch a DVD, and my kids handle discs in a way that suggests that they are not going to last very long (although in practise very few have ever failed).

However, I too am now considering adding some more storage to the PC, and keeping the "master" copies online. However the linkage from my PC to my home cinema gear is not exactly user friendly.

Doesn't take the argument much further forward, but have fun!