Video Archiving

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Whisper, Nov 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody who read my previous thread on which DVD recorder was best will know the trouble I had going the PC route for archiving :eek: . However, after much help I have just discovered the reason for the problems - my VCR (Toshiba V752uk) was faulty and was the reason for the flickering on the video capture device :thumbsdow . However when I connected another VCR (Panasonic NV-FJ760) the picture was perfect, crystal clear, no flicker :thumbsup: . So now, after all the problems I had trying to find a decent DVD recorder I need a new VCR. Can anyone reccommend a good, stand-alone, great PQ VCR for a reasonable price ? As for the PC device...I will use it now (and still buy the DVD recorder). Anyone interested I have the Terratec Grabtser AV 400 available from Ulead with their software for about £100. Thanks in advance, :hiya: .Wish I could retract the email I whizzed off to Ulead reharding their service though :censored: .

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    The best VCR's for the last few years have been either Panasonic or JVC. I have recently heard many people saying that the newest Panasonic VCRs are no longer any good though, so that just leaves JVC.
    If you can afford it I would recommend you get an SVHS VCR as this will give you the added option of transfering your videos via an S-Video lead that should give better PQ than through the standard composite that is the only option on a VHS VCR. If transfering old tapes you may well find you get far better results if you go up the models and get a JVC SVHS VCR with TBC (time base correction).

Mark.

3. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mark, thanks for the reply. I didn't know that about S-video. Is that possible then...to transfer old VHS (not in s-video) through an s-video lead and get a better picture ? If it is that sound ideal as my capture device does have a s-video input - thanks for the info :thumbsup: .

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Yes, I have a Panasonic SVHS VCR and it is connected only via an S-Video lead and old VHS tapes play back fine.

Mark.

5. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    FYI you dont need an SVHS machine to output S Video signals. Most (if not all) modern VCRs will have an S Video output, either via mini DIN or SCART.

SVHS will give better recording quality for new recordings (not old standard recordings) but will be redundant if you buy a DVD recorder as this has th potential to record even higher quality.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Sorry John7 but you are wrong! No VHS VCR will have an S-Video output. S-Video outputs are only on SVHS VCRs.

Mark.

7. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    :oops: Sorry, I am wrong

It has been so long since I used tape, I forgot that my last 3 VCR's have all been SVHS! :rolleyes:

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Easy done! There are many posts on here asking why they only get a B&W picture from their STB when connecting via scart to an S-Video input on their TV. You then look at the specs of their STB and see that it does not have an S-Video output :oops:

Mark.

9. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of interest did you replace your VCR? If so which make/model? Is it any good?

I am in exactly the same position so wondered what your solution was?

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Also, always demo playback via TBC first as sometimes TBC can do more harm than good (can make playback a bit jumpy on some tapes, through experience).

I've noticed this on commercial tapes as well as home movie tapes.

Maybe MarkE19 can explain why this is so or maybe it's just my JVC SVHS vcr?

11. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello PhilJW,
    Sorry about the delay in this reply....had my settings wrong so thought the thread had been removed :oops: . Yes I did replace my VCR with the JVC HRS 7965 s-video model. I have had it two weeks so far and it is so much better than the previous model I had:

Not noisy
    When rewinding/Fastforwarding stops immediately you press the stop button and doesn't carry on for another 5 minutes :thumbsdow .
    Works with my Video Capture Device
    Has TBC (as mentioned)
    Has s-video which gives a better picture if archiving old videos via an s-video lead (even if not recorded in s-video) - so I am told :thumbsup: .

Not easy to get hold of though :eek: .

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Well I'm no expert on anything Video let alone TBC but these are my thoughts on why:

From my limited experience a TBC is just a preset low cost video processor. If the settings are not adjustable then it is all down to a compromise to get the 'best average' improvement. Also the more work the TBC has to do (ie poorer the PQ to start with) the more processing is needed and therefore 'dropped frames' can occur causing the judder due to lack of processing power.

As I say the above is just my take on what a TBC is doing and may well be a long way off what is actually going on.

Mark.

13. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest where did you get your JVC VCR from. I cant find anyone who stocks them....!

14. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello PhilJW,

I got my video from pantheronline.co.uk for £129-99 plus £6-99 delivery and yes they are difficult to find - I hope you get one :smashin: .

15. Big blue

Big blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to rchive out "recorded and kept" programmes from my sky + box. I am also going to build a Media PC (HTPC) at some point. Could anybody advise on the best way to do the archiving activity, preserving picture quality, of course. I think I would like to record to the hard disk of the Media PC first and then burn to DVD at my leisure. I would also be grateful for any advice/reccomentations on the best "s video capture card/s" and the best PC DVD writer and software combo. Failure to get this sorted will mean that I will have to continue using my SVHS machine...not the ideal solution. :lease:

16. Whisper

Whisper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Big blue,

Well, I'm only a beginner in the archiving world but know that looking for the right products is very difficult...something which serioulsly needs to be addressed particularily if going down the PC route. However, the s-video capture card I bought was the Terratec AV400 which comes as a bundle complete with Uleads DVD Movie Factory 3 software (£100 del). Apart from initial problems where I had to replace my VCR this product works fine but I have not really done many recordings yet to say it is 'the best'. I think a lot of tweaking is required to get a great picture onto DVD....which requires patience. You can also upgrade the software to Uleads DVD Movie Factory 3 Disc Creator which gives you more options regarding editing etc. If this card is not to your liking you could try several others such as Adaptec Videoh!, Plextor (not sure of the model number) or maybe even use PCI cards such as the Osprey 200 or Videum though these require additional software for example Sony Screenblast Movie Studio 3, Pinnacle, Roxio, Nero, Sonic MyDVD - again you have to decide which you prefer as some are better than others ! As for a PC DVD writer...I'm in the same boat with that one ! My one only does +R/+RW which makes for little compatibility. I'm going to look at eother LG or NEC which are apparently quite good. Hope this helps :smashin: .