1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video and PC levels - which players use what?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    I was checking my projectors contrast ratio the other day, and I had to set the white and black levels of the two software players I'm currently using as I'd just upgraded the htpc and reinstalled everything.

Anyway, I found that I could get a slightly better contrast ratio outr of PowerDVD 6 than WinDVD6 when settings were correct - I'd used the light meter to find the best white and black levels of each player whilst using Avia needle pulse test, but found that with WinDVD 6, I couldn't keep those best settings simultaneously, whereas PDVD6 would.

So that makes me wonder what player is using what with respect to the overlay - is PDVD6 using overlay and WDVD6 using VMR perhaps? Does anyone knos how either player implements the video with respect to PC levels?

visualy I can't see any issues with the playback on either, and I apear to be able to get BTB and WTW if I want to, so if anyone knows for sure what each player is doing, I'd appreciate it. :)

TIA

Gary.