Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Video and PC levels - which players use what?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Peter Parker, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    I was checking my projectors contrast ratio the other day, and I had to set the white and black levels of the two software players I'm currently using as I'd just upgraded the htpc and reinstalled everything.

Anyway, I found that I could get a slightly better contrast ratio outr of PowerDVD 6 than WinDVD6 when settings were correct - I'd used the light meter to find the best white and black levels of each player whilst using Avia needle pulse test, but found that with WinDVD 6, I couldn't keep those best settings simultaneously, whereas PDVD6 would.

So that makes me wonder what player is using what with respect to the overlay - is PDVD6 using overlay and WDVD6 using VMR perhaps? Does anyone knos how either player implements the video with respect to PC levels?

visualy I can't see any issues with the playback on either, and I apear to be able to get BTB and WTW if I want to, so if anyone knows for sure what each player is doing, I'd appreciate it. :)

TIA

Gary.