Video 8 encoding and editing

Back Packer

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of capturing a large amount of video 8 analogue footage by copying direct to DVD using a Panasonic DMR-EZ25EB DVD recorder. The is a fast and straightforward method of digitizing the tapes and the results are impressive in terms of video quality and sound synchronization.

I have downloaded PacketDivX Encoder (0.3.90) which produced excellent results encoding a 30 minute DVD VOB file to AVI in 14 minutes in order to play on an Archos 604. However, most of the captured video needs extensive editing and I would like advice on the following points:

1. Is it necessary to carry out the editing before encoding and burning the finished footage to disc?
2. Will I be able to edit VOB files using Windows Movie Maker or do they need to be re-encoded first. If so, what format should I use?
3. I would like to try copying the tapes initially to DVD RAM which I believe would allow me to do some initial editing on disc but would the finalized RAM disk be readable by my computers multi-format DVD drive.

Many thanks for your help

I have downloaded PacketDivX Encoder (0.3.90) which produced excellent results encoding a 30 minute DVD VOB file to AVI in 14 minutes in order to play on an Archos 604.

I take it these are mpeg4 AVIs

However, most of the captured video needs extensive editing and I would like advice on the following points:
1. Is it necessary to carry out the editing before encoding and burning the finished footage to disc?

It is desirable ,however Im not sure how you intend to edit video 8 material unless you were thinking of analogue capture to PC. That is a major undertaking ( I think:rolleyes: )

2. Will I be able to edit VOB files using Windows Movie Maker or do they need to be re-encoded first. If so, what format should I use?
You wont
By reencoding : it would either be to DV AVI or WMV : Your PQ will take a hit
Advice: For editing, give WMM a miss and use any of the available NLE software which should edit DVD material (as VOB or mpeg2)

3. I would like to try copying the tapes initially to DVD RAM which I believe would allow me to do some initial editing on disc but would the finalized RAM disk be readable by my computers multi-format DVD drive.

Very likely

Thanks senu.

You are correct, the encoded footage is MPG4.

Having transferred the analogue footage to DVD, I am then hoping to be able to use the DVD's as the source for editing on my PC in which case it will already be in digital VOB format. The reason I decided to copy using the DVD recorder is because of the speed and simplicity compared with the alternative of a digital capture card and special software. So far so good as long as editing from DVD presents no problems.

By the way, does NLE refer to non linear editing?

Your comment about PQ (picture quality?) taking a hit seems to indicate I should avoid encoding to DV, AVI or WMV until last, in other words do the editing first.

Thanks for your advice

Having transferred the analogue footage to DVD, I am then hoping to be able to use the DVD's as the source for editing on my PC in which case it will already be in digital VOB format. .

Not a problem

By the way, does NLE refer to non linear editing?
Yes ,insofar as the edit does not need to be done in the sequence with which the footage was shot. Any resulting chronology of the edited version would be due entirely to the Editors storytelling ability

Your comment about PQ (picture quality?) taking a hit seems to indicate I should avoid encoding to DV, AVI or WMV until last, in other words do the editing first.
Not if you already have the video as VOB ( ie mpeg2)

If you captured to DV AVI from analogue, that would be best starting quality. It is desirable that editing be done as in this format and only for end stage use should any conversion happen but this isnt the case with you.

However in these days of HDD camcorders, DVD camcorders ( and in your case DVD from settop), you would be editing Mpeg
As such editing with mpeg as starting material ( VOB in your case) is rather more mainstream now

During editing, footage gets rendered, this rendering affects DV AVI very minimally.. mpeg a bit more so.
There are dedicated mpeg editors and "Normal" editors" which are better at mpeg editing due to have "smart rendering" abilities

However recent mainstream Software is getting cleverer at editing mpeg to minimise this PQ deterioration

Of the Video formats, DV AVI is the least compressed.( and suffers the least "generational" loss from re ecoding) Analogy: the dubbed recording of a cassette tape which was itself recorded from a CD will be much worse than the CD Audio quality

Editing and then re-encoding compressed video will result in the end product being worse than starting material

Thanks senu once again for the comprehensive explanation and the links for further information. I think that's all I need now to get started.

I'm off line now for a few days whilst a minor PC fault is being rectified and I'm also taking the opportunity to have a memory upgrade to 2GB.

I'll post again if I need any more advice.

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom