Video 2 Go

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by anilsharma, Sep 8, 2012.

1. anilsharma

anilsharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Does the the Video 2 Go software allow you to burn VHS recordings to Blue-RayDiscs and can you convert your videos to play on an Ipad, also is the softwareincluded the latest version and how how good is the picture and sound quality?

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Why on earth would you want to burn SD recordings to a blu-ray disc ?. Ordinary DVD blanks will do the job just fine.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Capacity I would think. Put hours of SD on one Bluray instead of several DVDs

4. anilsharma

anilsharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, but does the software allow you to burn your recordigs on Blue-Ray discs and what is the picture and sound quallity like? I am asking as I am concidering buying the device.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    What about building the navigation capability to select to replay individual title replay from hours of SD content. From an economic point of view also makes no sense purely from a data storage point of view. 5 DVD's will store approx the same as 1 single layer blu-ray blank. Cost about 80p. Blu-ray about £3.70. From the OP's post I imagine he thinks using blu-ray will somehow give HD quality from a vcr recording (if only :D )

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    The picture and sound quality will be the same whatever you use to save the digital data on (not very good). Once digitised it makes no difference what you use to save the files on. To replay the content on a DVD/Blu-ray player you need to author a disc. If you use a DVD burner and DVD blanks or a blu-ray burner with blu-ray blanks the end result is the same. The only differnce is the blu-ray blank will hold more content. If you imagine using a blu-ray burner will somehow improve the pictures it won't, just cost a lot more money.

7. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Why on earth burn to a disc of any description?....:confused:

There are an increasing number of reports from people (me included!) who are finding faults on DVDR discs 'burnt' only a couple of years ago, in some cases.
    Although the commercial 'pressed' discs seem to be fine, the dye backed DVD-Rs and +Rs are looking increasing unreliable.
    Why anyone would want to risk doing the same thing again, by 'burning' Blu-ray discs, I simply do not understand?

Wake up and smell the coffee guys!.. for buying and replaying films, commercial 'pressed' DVDs and Blu-rays are fine.

For storing your much more valuable -and irreplaceable? - family videos, then store them on HDD or flash drives -with a second back up, in case of a single HDD or flash failure -- and buy a solid state media player to replay your videos through your TV!

'Burnable' Blu-ray discs have never taken off like DVDs, so they remain OK for the few disc 'aficiandos', but have been superseded by the relentless progress of technology, for most ordinary folk...

8. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Maybe recordable bluray blanks will have better longterm reliability than has been experienced with DVD blanks?
    Otherwise, since there are far more players capable of playback of DVDs, then for distribution it would be sensible to use DVD blanks.

9. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    rogs,
    as you know, there are also any number of reports to use only the (two) quality optical disc brands. I for one am not counting on HDDs etc. to be any more reliable than optical discs in the long term. For valuable material back-up I personally use at least two sets of discs and two sets of HDDs.

10. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    The problem is, we don't know if Blu-ray discs are going to be more reliable -at least not yet!
    We were told that we could expect burnt DVDs to last 30+years (some early claims even said up to 100 years!).
    That all turned out to be nonsense.

The advantage of HDDs is that they are cheap (at least getting cheaper again, after the Thailand floods!). Obviously you would rely on a single device, but the likelihood of 2 simultaneous failures??.....

And as flash drives continue to fall in price... with the SLC types specified with 100K write cycles, I can see long term storage having no moving parts at all. I like the idea of that!

Some folk are worried that their carefully authored DVDs, or Blu-rays, will 'lose' their menus if you try and use media players, but most of the modern ones allow you to retain (and use) the menu structure.

Sorry, I just don't see the future of home video as 'burnt' spinning discs.

And the fact that Blu-ray blank prices have remained stubbornly high, compared to the fall in DVD blanks over the same period of time, suggests that a lot of folk are thinking the same way.

Just as video cassettes gave way to discs, so they in turn will give way to solid state....

I don't think discs are a good idea, for long term video storage... but that's only my opinion of course ! :)

11. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    good blank bds should last 30 years,mine go back 8 years now all fine.Always have external drive as well though.

12. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Taking hdds to play in another house is far more hassle than a disc,bds are fine for me.Obviously no point if the house does not have a bd player they are extremely expensive

13. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,159
    Holiday movies taken on a visit to Florida in 2002 and burnt to DVD still play fine. I do have backups on a hdd, so far not had to use any of them. A lot depends on how you store them. Mine are in a pretty near lightproof drawer. Expose them to bright lights it's likely the dies will deteriorate.

How do you send your relatives in Oz memories of a UK visit, not very practical to pop a hdd in the post. Until you get a 5GB solid state memory device for 16p there's life in optical storage for a while yet.

14. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    True All reasons why i prefer disc for general use.

15. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I still have discs from 2003/4 that play fine.
    But I also have some that don't. And some that did still play last year, and don't now!
    And that's my point ...I don't trust them!

I don't have any family in Oz, but I do have friends in Greece, for example.
    I rarely have more than a few minutes worth of footage to send at any one time, so I either upload online, and get them to download... or I use YouTube or Vimeo.

My daughter has a desperately slow internet connection, so we simply use a 4GB memory stick, which we pop into the post in a jiffy bag. That has now been back and forward several times. (Easier to reliably pack for the post than a disc too!)

I can understand when people have already made the commitment to Blu-ray. But the blanks and the burners are still not cheap, so I would put forward solid state and media players, as an option to anyone thinking of investing in equipment, in the near future?....

Regardless of which ever medium we chose, we still need to make backups of course, so the 'reliability' aspect of your chosen format isn't perhaps as essential as it first appears.....

But I'm guessing we've mostly all come across someone who didn't keep a second copy of a special DVD, because they believed all the 'hype' about long term reliability. I recently had a friend who couldn't get his only DVD copy of a BBC recording he was on to play.
    The day was saved by the fact that he still had the original VHS tape. ( The program in question was made quite a long time ago!)
    So we started again.
    This time he has a new Taiyo Yuden DVD, and copy on both his HDD, and on fiver's worth of memory stick as well!...

16. vkmast

vkmast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Way to go, rogs :)

17. anilsharma

anilsharma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think ts worth buying the product, to transfer my VHS and other device recordings to DVD, also does the software allow you to convert the recordings into a format, so they can also be played on an Ipad?

18. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    The problem with these devices is that some work well --others not so well.

This one : EzCAP 116 USB 2.0 video capture. Supersedes EzCAP DC60+. World wide delivery. seems to get good reviews -- and is a lot cheaper than the one you're looking at.

However, a similar device called 'easycap' gets some awful reviews!!

You can get difficulties wih audio sync with these devices, although some people say they work really well!

Probably worth a pop at £20... not so sure about £40, which is the one you are looking at?

I'm afraid you'll need to read some reviews, and make your own mind up.

I've not used these devices, although I think some members may have?... maybe they'll comment?...

Looks as if we hijacked your thread a bit, sorry about that!:)

They all come with some sort of bundled software ... soemtimes just trail versions though.

You can find free programs to convert your video for ipad etc...this gets some good comments: HandBrake