Victorian House - Hidden 5.1 Speaker Challenge

Slippery Jim

Novice Member
Hello, I've recently bought an old Victorian house and I'm in the process of renovating it. Part of the challenge is incorporating technology in a tasteful way and possibly even more challenging, in a way that my Wife approves of!

I'm going room by room and the next room on the list is the Livingroom, which is 6m wide by 20m long. I will be making the front 10m a TV area and have purchased a 75" Samsung Frame TV to try and make it look less like a TV on first glance but given the size of the area I'm now looking into speakers. My Wife has categorically said no to free standing ones and in our last house we had in-wall KEF LCR which she was OK with but would prefer all the speakers to be in the ceiling.

I'm looking for any ideas on the best way to achieve discrete speaker placement, I have about £5k for 5 speakers, a sub and an AV receiver and I'm exploring options such as angled LCR in-ceiling, in-wall LCR, in-wall invisible LCR which get plastered over (the wall is brick though) and a backup option of a decent soundbar.

Thanks in advance :)

oneear

Why don’t you stick with KEF and buy their motorised in-ceiling speakers and motorised speakers for the back as well? I think you should get it in your budget.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
How about a on-wall LCR that is identical in look and width to your Samsung Frame?

I havent had time to get them on the site yet, but a great looking solution.

In-ceiling LCR's is also a good concept, lots poopoo it as a concept but with good quality speakers it is a good solution.

We have used GoldenEar alot in these situations. HTR7000's

Also OSD have a range as well.

Slippery Jim

Novice Member
I’ve gone back and forth a lot over the last 24hrs from pushing to have on wall to accepting the loss of quality and having all 5 speakers in-ceiling.

For budget and because I only have 33cm between each joist (damn Victorians didn’t bother making it consistent either, some are as little as 29cm and other as large as 35cm) I’m leaning toward 5 x Focal IC100LCR, especially as they are a sealed unit so will hopefully mean less noise going upstairs too.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
HTR7000 only has a cutout of under 23cm and because it has an angled drivers they are great to focus the sound towards the listening position.

The 8000 is just under 30cm.

Fitting can be used with fire&acoustic hood to prevent sound bleeding up, or you can build your own if you have the access.

PaulDavidThomas

If you have ornate coving in the 20m x 6m room, then this precludes quite a few things. Equally if you have a chimney breast at the main viewing position this also creates a 'challange'.

If you don't then I would take advantage of the large room and build a false wall to put LCR and a motorised screen.

If you do have coving, don't let the tail wag the dog, you can get it re-constructed and still move the wall forward, then it's down to if you have a fireplace ect.

The ceiling speakers are not an issue unless you have an ornate ceiling. Just pop the floor boards up above to run cables. Cables can then be chased into the wall ( or into the false wall at the front ).

It's the side and rear surrounds that will cause an issue. If normal brick walls then they are not deep enought to put inwalls, however, you can chase down the wall and do on-wall speakers. M&K do some very subtle small ones that still sound good. Of course you'll need to skim over the walls, only an issue if you have fancy wall paper.

Subs, which make a big difference. One odd solution would be take advantage of the cavity you 'might' have available in floor void and do in-floor subs. Quite a few manufactures make them for walls, can't see why they cannot be mounted between floor joists.

If you're doing a projector on the screen ( electric drop down ), you could have it off the ceiling and encase in a box ( that get's plastered ), when painted same colour as room won't be too noticeable.

Or, as most UK lounges have a corridor along one length, you could drop the ceiling in the corridor to house the projector, then make a hole through the adjoining wall. This would also help with noise.

Thing is, you really need to see the room to gauge an idea of what can and cannot be done. Usually everything can be done, it's just how messy you want to get and how much re-decorating you are willing to have done.

Keep in mind I rip property to bits and put it back together for a living so none of this would concern me. But you can apply these treatments and keep the room looking nice for the wife and, if I'm honest, for yourself too.

PaulDavidThomas

Agree with the above ☝️

Lots of solutions.
And if your running your diggers and dumpers inside the house your renovating you know anything is possible :)

Attachments

• IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 97
  • OC8A0150 2.jpeg
    OC8A0150 2.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 95

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
And if your running your diggers and dumpers inside the house your renovating you know anything is possible :)

That second photo is GORGEOUS!! blessed with those ceilings omg.

PaulDavidThomas

That second photo is GORGEOUS!! blessed with those ceilings omg.
Thanks. But it tell you, insulating, wiring and plastering / painting them was not as much fun !!! I’ve got four other rooms with vaulted ceilings and it was hard graft as I had to remove the existing roofs, rebuild with steels to allow the removal of perlins and normal cross members. However it also meant I could convert them all to warm roofs which in todays climate is great as it’s saving me a bundle.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom