1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victoria Cross (with Jeremy Clarkson)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by rhoamish, Nov 5, 2003.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone watch this documentary last night? I found it really humbling.

It seemed to be quite well researched, and centred on the actions of a Major Robert Cain. (Clarkson's father-in-law, incidentally). If they made a film about him, you wouldn't believe it: http://www.extraplan.demon.co.uk/robert_cain.htm

Am I right in thinking that the VC can only be awarded during wartime? The programme didn't mention that.

2. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily, rhoamish. It is awarded (and I quote Victoria herself) "to those officers or men who have served Us in the presence of the Enemy and shall then have performed some signal act of valour or devotion to their country". In fact, the very first batch was awarded to 62 soldiers over 12 months after the end of the Crimean War.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,307
    It can technically be awarded at any time but due to its description- what exactly would you be doing to get it when not in hostilities? Black Ops cannot be publicised to the any extent and the UK/Commonwealth does not award "record" commendations (where your service file noted the award but due to the nature of what you were doing at the time it cannot be publicly announced).
    Thought the program was excellent and that Clarkson managed something approximating to humility (I had previously thought this was impossible) and Cain's story and the others was well portrayed. Is it a one off?

4. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the VC can be awarded at any time, so long as it is for an action in the face of an 'enemy'.

this is why the young soldier was awarded last week, with a George Cross instead for his life saving act in the Iraqi war, as it was during a 'friendly fire' incident.

I agree about the drama of the Cain VC, there are so many of these stories ...so how come the Brit film industry is still making feckin gangster films ? unfortunately VC winners are not politically correct....hence no film about the greatest Brit soldier of all time, Blair Mayne (Col Paddy), now theres a film waiting to be made !!

5. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    A girlfriend of mine her late father won the Victoria cross and bar which means i think he won th V C twice phew! I read in the Times that a V C with bar went for V C record £178,000 i will show her the cuting from the Times when i see her to morrow i dont think she realise how much one of these are worth i think she will be rather shocked of what it fetched at auction but i think she will want to hold on it

6. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just think of the Home cinema she could have with that lot though:eek:

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if anyone should know, it's the person with that username!:smashin: :D

8. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well spotted James;)
    yes, it gives away my interest in the subject.

As for VC and bar.....I think that there were only 3 of these awarded, I would have thought that £178,000 was a conservative estimate, a wonderful piece of history to own though.

9. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    As taken from the Times

A VICTORIA Cross with Bar awarded to a First World War soldier became the most valuable in history yesterday when it sold for a world record yesterday £178,250 it was awarded to Commander Daniel Beak 27 of the Drake Battalion Royal Naval Division the previous World record fo a V C was £138,000:lesson:

10. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaz, a VC and bar is incredibly rare, that really is something to have in the family !!

quite a few people do sell their family medals, and they shoudn't feel bad about it. The insurance must be high and if it is sold to a museum, then far more people will see it and appreciate it than if it locked away in a bank vault.

The price of VC's and other medals has rocketed recently. There is a multi millionaire who has been buying up every medal that comes on the market , at any price. I used to collect medals myself and remember when you could get a VC for @10 K only 10 years back - the moe 'famous' the recipient , the more valuable the medal. A bar adds considerably, as would a famous battle, such as the only Rorkes Drift VC in private hands, it woul dprobably fetch a new record amount if it came up for auction.

11. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    hi chard our names when you say them together it sounds like we are a comic duo! the girlfriend has decided that is best if kept in the family i must say i agree with her but just imagine if she had of sold it what a home cinema you could buy !