1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vice City - limited sound effects

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gordon A, May 16, 2003.

1. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Received this today from Gameplay (thanks for the great service) and it looks brilliant. The only thing is that some of the sound effects are missing! By 'some' I mean, for example, the noise of the car engines, gunshots, footsteps etc. Tried taking the background music to 0 and increasing the SFX level but nothing: total silence! The music and voices etc. are OK. Running onboard sound on an Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo but have got no problems with anything else. Any ideas appreciated!!

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    What amp/speakers are you playing the sound source through?

3. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    The speaker setup is Creative's 5300 system. As an extra to my original post, you can hear the general background effects: it's as though the foreground effects are missing in some way! Difficult to describe sounds in writing!!

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Go to sound and audio devices in your control panel. Click on the audio tab and advanced button on sound playback (i'm assuming your running XP). Make sure it's set to 5.1. What sound card is it your using? Make sure all your speakers are working in 5.1 mode - most cards have a test for this to make sure it's working ok. Other than that check for patches to see if this will correct your sound issues.
    What version of direct x have you?
    Have you up to date sound card drivers?

5. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the help. Sussed it out this afternoon when I found that my playback and record devices buried within the nForce control panel were set to 'Playback through TotalRecorder' instead of NVIDIA nForce audio. Somehow, the auto detect on Vice City must've altered the settings!! All now works a treat.

6. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem, but i've tried what you said and it makes no difference. If it helps, I'm on a toshiba satellite laptop. I don't have the problem with any other games except this one. I'm running windows XP media center edition. Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I found it on Google Search and i'm new to this forum.

7. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have to say, you are all very helpful... :mad:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Have you tried re-installing Direct X? Could be your missing one of the sub-components?

9. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there's no problem with any other games that use directx, so I doubt that's the problem. I'll try anyway though.

10. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to the directx website, downloaded and installed their latest version. Still no difference:(

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    have you got any codec packs installed, ie k-lite codec pack? Quite often these mess up the sound in games due to using non certified or hacked codecs which are not supported by the game. If this is the case and you need codecs installed, you can either rearrange the priority of the codecs in 'control panel/sounds and audio devices/hardware/audio codecs' until you find one that works, or you can install the codec package called "FFDSHOW" instead of all your audio and video codecs and add any games with problems to the exclusion list in the FFDSHOW configuration

and there's no need to be rude, you probably would have had a better response starting your own thread rather than bumping one that's nearly 4 years old!!

12. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that, still no difference.

13. gyates93

gyates93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I found the problem. My sound card does not suppord hardware buffering. Is there any way to get all of the sounds out of the game without hardware buffering?