Vibram Five Finger Running Shoes - Anyone tried them

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am getting into running and while I have some trainers for running and are in no hurry to pick any up a mate at work was talking to me about Vibram FiveFinger shoes/trainers.

He said they feel like you are running barefoot but without all the jumping about when you stand on a tiny grain of a stone.

I have been looking at them and first of all they have some crazy designed colour schemes where are right up my street but would like to know if any on here have used them either for just walking about as well as for running?

Just looking for your thoughts?

Assuming they don't chafe between the toes, lets get that one out of the way.

He said they feel like you are running barefoot

If your small toe area strikes something with a trainer on, it glances off and isn't a big deal. My guess is that you wouldn't get away that lightly if the same happens wearing those.

To be clear, the sum total of my sporting activities involves jogging between the sofa and the fridge, but I do occasionally stub my toes doing so. :(

I wouldn't touch them if you are an underpronator, like me.

I've had them for nearly 7 years, I suggest getting the matching socks, as thin a fabric as possible. I'm fairly flat footed in trainers but in these my spring comes back, they seem to correct my running style

I'm just going to leave this here :D

shoes.png

Hey All,

I am getting into running and while I have some trainers for running and are in no hurry to pick any up a mate at work was talking to me about Vibram FiveFinger shoes/trainers.

He said they feel like you are running barefoot but without all the jumping about when you stand on a tiny grain of a stone.

I have been looking at them and first of all they have some crazy designed colour schemes where are right up my street but would like to know if any on here have used them either for just walking about as well as for running?

ywwm2.jpg

Hey All,

I would definitely see if you can try some on, and possibly even take them for a test run (the shop I used to buy my running shoes from insisted that customers tried before they, erm, buyed).

I've only come across a couple of people that wear these over the years, but according to those in the know, these running shoes are an acquired taste, and don't feel as comfortable or 'normal' as you might expect at first - once you're used to them, they are supposed to be quite nice.

You have to wear these with the extra string. It is tied to one shoe, goes up one leg, down the other leg and ties to the other shoe.

I would definitely see if you can try some on, and possibly even take them for a test run (the shop I used to buy my running shoes from insisted that customers tried before they, erm, buyed).

I've only come across a couple of people that wear these over the years, but according to those in the know, these running shoes are an acquired taste, and don't feel as comfortable or 'normal' as you might expect at first - once you're used to them, they are supposed to be quite nice.

Your sales pitch is rubbish :rotfl:

My mate swears by them. Looks ridiculous however.

Are you a heel striker when you run or more mid to fore foot?
How much toe to heel difference do you have in your current trainers?
There are so many different ideas on running styles and what is good or not that it is very confusing. The only injury I have had so far with running was with trainers that were supposedly fitted to correct for my running style.

I wouldn't touch them if you are an underpronator, like me.
Why would you say that? These trainers are not designed for heel striking but more of a mid to fore foot running style where pronation has less of an impact. Also you are using your foot as a way of cushioning instead of cushioning in the trainer. I have been told I under pronate but use trainers with zero heel to toe drop and not a lot of cushioning with no issues. Although if you look at Hoka they go for the zero heel to toe but with lots of cushioning (tried a few of their shoes but they are all a bit narrow for my foot).

I've had a pair for a couple of months now - absolutely love them - so lightweight to run in. They do take a little getting used to I started with some shorter 2 mile runs and worked up a little. If I want to go for a decent run I'll still stick to my asics but do like these for short / medium and especially fast runs!

I'm thinking of getting another pair of the 'trek' ones so I can use them for general use.

I've had a pair for a couple of months now - absolutely love them - so lightweight to run in. They do take a little getting used to I started with some shorter 2 mile runs and worked up a little. If I want to go for a decent run I'll still stick to my asics but do like these for short / medium and especially fast runs!

I'm thinking of getting another pair of the 'trek' ones so I can use them for general use.

LOL! a short 2 mile run.... 2.3 miles is my max any more I would need to get oxygen and a full medical team.

Thanks for the responses, the funny ones made me laugh.

Why would you say that? These trainers are not designed for heel striking but more of a mid to fore foot running style where pronation has less of an impact. Also you are using your foot as a way of cushioning instead of cushioning in the trainer. I have been told I under pronate but use trainers with zero heel to toe drop and not a lot of cushioning with no issues. Although if you look at Hoka they go for the zero heel to toe but with lots of cushioning (tried a few of their shoes but they are all a bit narrow for my foot).

And that's exactly why they are of no use to one who has a heel strike and that's what I was saying, you need cushioning for my running style and I was saying if he runs the same they will damage him.

I was getting all sorts of glute/quad and hamstring pain from running in a pair of Trail trainers and those Vibrams offer even less than my Addidas Response Trail ones.

Last edited:
Try a pair of these first

Pippin_hobbit_feet_6.jpg

Quite popular in New Zealand I believe ;)

Why are they called five FINGERED shoes out of interest ??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom