VIBE Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by russraff, Nov 27, 2001.

1. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Has anyone heard these subs in the flesh? They seem to be quite popular with HCC, but havent seen/heard any other's views about them. I was thinking of getting the Beta, or the REL Q150 (which I have heard, and sounds very good for the money).

I have a Denon A10SE, the room is a converted garage, about 10ft x 18ft.

Thanks in advance - Russell

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Personally i have not heard the vibe either, but i am sure i saw one at Lintone Audio at the Metro centre.(I think it was, could be mistaken)

If you want a good sub for Movies and Music then you can't go wrong with a Rel.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Someone else that lives in the North East? I was in the Metro (still can't believe how i managed to get parked) and they do have them in stock. To quote "They are equal to REL, except that they dig a little deeper. They don't look as nice as the REL's, though" But then, they would say that, they are trying to sell me one!

The problem I have with REL is that, and I may be setting these things up wrong, they distort quite easily. In order for them to "keep up" with my fronts I need to set the volume that little bit too far (x-over set to 40hz, Neutrik connection used volume just passed half way. Distortion heard in the T2 THX dem at the beginning, and the atomic blast in the same film). Same thinbg happened with a Q200 and Strata I have used.

By the way, what do you think of Lintone Audio, are they any good?

Russell

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    Personally i would stay away from Lintone. bought a cd recorder from them that was faulty a few years back. The after sales service sucked! Big time !
    :mad:

However i can happily recommend Global Hifi on Clayton Street, just ask for Paul or Mick, you should recieve good service all round from them. You can even mention that Phil recommended them to you.

Or go and speak to Chris at Sevenoaks round the corner, very helpfull and friendly lad who knows his stuff and wont give you any BS.

As for Rels overloading, well they need tender loving care to run in right and then even more to tune. Bass should compliment the sound not overwhelm and the Rels dont like high volume running only. 40hz sound a little to low to me. If you want any help in tuning your sub or advice in general then contact me and i'll do my best to help. You can even pop round to mine if you like and demo the Storm properly tuned.

Have fun!

5. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I know Global very well. Mick and Paul do seem to know their onions, and Paul in particular seems genuinely enthusiastic about Home Cinema (and hifi). I remember them busting a gut trying to get me a Denon 3300 (after a string of mishaps after which other shops would have left me in the cold).

REL storm? A few people have said that this is the first REL to really plumb the bass depths. Haven't heard one (but have heard a Servo 15, which is supposed to be better) and it would be interesting to hear how it sounds, properly set up. They are just too expensive. I mean - are they really worth it?

Russell

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,132
    I just love my Storm and wont be replacing it anytime soon. I had a small budget for speakers when i put my system together, but wanted the best sub i could afford, so bought the Storm and then 5 budget Kefs. Because the Sub is so good it helps open up the sound stage of these bidget speakers and they sound far better as the amp is not drained by trying to send bass to them. Instead the speakers are set flat and all bass routed to the Sub, which sound s very good indeed. I have every intention of going down the Kef TDM route when funds allow (or second hand units come available).
    Send me e-mail if you want that visit.