vibe monolith speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bullettneil, Dec 30, 2011.

1. bullettneil

bullettneil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi there,was wondering if you guys could help me out.im useless when it comes to understanding the power/impendence etc of amps and speakers.

i currently have a yamaha dsp-ax861se amp which says its 8ohms? i was conidering getting the vibe monolith speaker system to run of this amp but they say they are 6ohm.

the questions are.
    1.does the ohm difference matter?will it kill the speakers or the amp?
    2.has anyone used the monolith stuff at all and is it any good?i have experience of vibes blackair car speakers and love them and the monolith looks like its the same type of speaker design.

cheers in advance neil.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    An amplifier is a power source for speakers so therefore cannot have an impedance. Any amplifier can power any impedance, but the lower the impedance is of a speaker, the more work the amplifier has to do to keep pace with the speakers. The lower the impedance of the speakers, the more power is required and the greater the risk of overheating an amplifier.

6 ohm speakers are relatively easy to power and only slighly more work for an amp than speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohm. Any amp capable of safely powering speakers with an impedance of 8 ohm will power speaker with an impedance of 6 ohm.

3. bullettneil

bullettneil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah right ok so the amp i have can safely run these speakers im looking at then.
    tbh im pretty new to all of it and havent really been able to understand the tech involved.
    sounds odd but the speakers i have at the moment are yamaha and are less power than the vibes. currently the amp has to be turned up to round -19 to be loud enough for me,would a higher power speaker have to have the amo turned up higher or less or the same to get the same level of sound?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    The amount of power speakers require to give a given amount of volume is represented by their sensitivity rating. The more sensitive a speaker the less power they will require to reach that level of volume.

5. bullettneil

bullettneil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    oh right so i need to check what my current ones are(tbh they were a cheap 120 quid yamaha set inc sub) and the vibe monoliths.
    this probaly sounds daft but i should notice a big difference in sound quality shouldnt i? after all the vibes are 500-600 quid.

the amp is 4 years old now but should still be up to doing the job i think.

sounds daft but if the amp can run 7 speakers how come it rarely seems to do it?is that the bluray/dvd not putting sound out like that or is it the amo setting? i would love 7 speaker surround like a cinema has rather than 3 front and just 2 rear speakers.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
  7. bullettneil

bullettneil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    mixed reviews on the monoliths.seems the people who are really into it notice them not being up to standard but the people like me who arent technical are happy.im really only interested in them as i deal with vibe direct through my work(car accessories) and i get a good price on their stuff.

my amp is a yamaha dsp-ax861se bud