1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibe Alpha One

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by JoeyJoeJoe, Nov 3, 2003.

1. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. So I was going to get a Mordaunt Short 907W but I don't have the patience to wait two weeks. As an alternative, I have been offered an ex demo Vibe Alpha One instead for only £12 more than the 907W. Has anyone got one of these and if so, what do you think of it? What I do know is that it is a 200W powered subwoofer and is roughly a 12" cube which is ideal for my size of room.

2. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I bought one of these off this here forum and I'm well pleased with it. I had a Gale sub before, and the Vibe kicks it's butt. The only other sub I've been able to compare it to is a mates Mission AV1 (the NXT system), and the Vibe walks all over it.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A while back I had a Vibe Gamma subwoofer which was 300w with a 15" Driver and it was pretty bad.

This is in no way a reflection on the Alpha One but my experience with the gamma was that it coloured music in a way that was unacceptable to me. When the sub was on the treble lost all sparkle, even with the sub set to more conservative levels. Vibe are famous for the ICE equipment and it shows in the raucious nature of the gamma.

The only saving grace was that I only paid £210 off ebay and they should retail at around £700. It was only just worth the money I paid never mind £700!

I've found a review of the Alpha One should you be interested:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Subwoofers/Vibe/VibeAlphaOne.php

4. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I know what you're saying. If it isn’t set up properly it does sound over the top, but once you get it right I’ve found that and it really underpins everything and you can’t localise it (my main concerns with any sub); either that or I need Earex! I’ve just bought a Kef front soundstage (Q35.2’s and Q95.2), and I can’t believe the amount of bottom end detail coming through; I’m not talking about grunt, but depth.

5. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The review isn't too bad. Most reviews I take with a pinch of salt anyway. Like with most subwoofers, as long as I take the time to set it up properly then it will probably sound OK. This one looks to be far better than the one I already own anyway.

6. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah it's a good review, What hifi didn't like the Alpha. If you're unsure try to get a home demo or you'd be forever thinking what if i'd waited and bought...

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I am going for an MS309 over an alhpa as i dont like the build on the vibe looks chaep and feels it not sure the MS is any better but i prefer it!

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi stevej good to see you're enjoying the sub. :)

The build on the Vibe I found to be pretty good, at least as good as most of the Mordaunt Short speakers I've owned in the past. No rattles, buzzes or loose bits. The 'snakeskin' finish OTOH is down to personal taste, I preferred it to my REL 200E's Grittex but the MS faux wood vinyl wrap is quite nice.

In my system the Alpha integrated well and it's definitely worth having a listen to.

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The alpha one sounds like a good sub for the price after the comments from owners.

Every manufacturer has a weak link in its line up and I guess the Gamma is it. Unfortunately its the one I bought - typical :rolleyes:

Maybe its the strange shape that ruins the sound:

[​IMG]

It certainly looked a little different and was difficult to position because it was pig ugly.