1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vibe Alpha One/Celestion sl6s/Yamaha a492 - settings help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by argyle_mikey, May 12, 2005.

1. argyle_mikey

argyle_mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help with advice on subwoofer settings please ?

Basically I'm just wanting the subwoofer to enhance low frequencies for 2 channel TV/DVD watching and CD's via the DVD (It's an excellent quality CD spinner for once - the Philips DVDR 1000).

I use the line level input on the Vibe from the subwoofer out on the Yamaha. I use my Marantz PPM66 KI sig as the main amp connected to the SL6's with short lengths of pricey Kimber 4tc cable.

The Celstion's response is variously given as going down to 60 or 70hz (3db).

My questions are :
    1. Do I need to select "small" speakers on the Yamaha or won't it make any difference ?
    2. What level should I set the Vibe to kick in ?
    3. Or should I be setting the crossover level on the Yamaha and setting the crossover dial on the Vibe to maximum frequency ?
    4. Would I do better buying some more speaker cable to connect the amp to the sub to the speakers and avoiding the line level input altogether ?

Thanks (third attempt at editing this to make sense - sorry). :rolleyes:

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,176
    A a starters for ten I would suggest you turn off the subs own crossover (I'm not familiar with this unit so I can't tell you how, and use the one in the yamaha. The Yamaha one will be set to 90Hz. Set the speakers to small and subwoofer on. The go to the sub and set the subs volume to a level you are happy with. Start out around a quarter of the level and keep trying different music and movies till you get it how you want it.

3. argyle_mikey

argyle_mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly it turns out that the Yamaha has neither the option to set "small" or "large" speakers or a variable output to the subwoofer.

Music quality is paramount to me. So following some other useful threads on here I'm thinking of simply ditching the Yamaha and wiring the subwoofer's high level inputs (speaker terminals) direct to the Marantz amp, so it's then driving both the sl6's and the subwoofer. Then I simply adjust the crossover to say 60hz on the Vibe and off I go.

One thing though - however I set the volume on the vibe, its volume will increase as I increase volume on the Marantz amp. This is of course different to the line level input from the Yamaha where the output to the Vibe stayed constant and was therefore boomy at low levels. That's great - but what about when I turn the volume up much higher on the Marantz - won't the subwoofer then sound boomy ?

4. argyle_mikey

argyle_mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, happy with the new set up - and it works fine for TV and films as well.

Next question - the subwoofer has just two figures on the crossover dial : 40hz at the bottom and 160 hz at the top. So 100hz must be halfway round and 70hz (my starting point) halfway between the lowest and middle settings. Simple.

Or is it ? :(