1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viable alternative to a plasma screen?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NicolasB, Aug 12, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    OK. A while back I was quite keen on the idea of a plasma screen; but now that I'm a bit more familiar with the actual resolutions, capabilities and prices of plasma TVs I'm beginning to feel less enthusiastic about the idea. If I could buy a 1280x720 or 1365x768 display for £3500, that'd be great. But I can't.

Maybe I ought to be thinking about a projector - but I am looking for a device that can actually function as a couple-of-hours-a-day television, not merely an occasionally-used home cinema display. (And I don't want to have to draw the curtains to watch the news).

So, this brings me back to the conventional and RP TV forum, and the following question:

Are there any direct-view CRT or rear projection TVs that are actually capable of producing a picture quality comparable with plasma screens, but at a lower price? Or perhaps even better than plasma screens at the same price?

I'm looking for something that's at least as large as my current 32" widescreen set; doesn't suffer from flicker (which I am very sensitive to); can do a good job with both PAL and NTSC progressive scan inputs; has good geometry, good contrast (nice dark blacks), good colour saturation, and is sharp (but not edge-enhanced). Sonic capabilities are irrelevant.

Given that any direct-view or RP TV is also not likely to be able to deal usefully with PC output or with anything resembling a high definition signal, I'd be inclined to set my budget a little lower than I might have for a plasma, so let's (somewhat arbitrarily) pick £2500. What should be on my shortlist at that level? And can I either get something much better for slightly more? Or something very nearly as good for a great deal less?

2. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you're not that bother about going much higher than 32" or so you won't get better than a good old fashioned CRT TV - if you spend the money and get a decent flat screen model, nothing else can come close - not RP, not front projection and certainly not Plasma. The only advantage these various screen types have over CRT is they can go bigger than the 40" maximum that CRT is stuck under and also the fact that they take up considerably less room (a 40" CRT has a massive depth to the tube).

3. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba are bringing out a whole new line of RPTVs next month. They all have a progscan feature but its not known if it can accept progressive via its components imputs.

4. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicolas,

It sounds to me like the ideal TV for you would be one of the 'higher' specced Loewes. Absolutely sublime pictures and unrivalled upgradability, i.e. VGA capabilty, for use with a PC/laptop or HCPC (I'm told the quality of the VGA input is 'like looking through a window' when fed a progressive signal from HCPC).

Take a look here to discover the possibilities... http://www.petermartin.co.uk

Good luck with your choice...

SMP

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I don't think the Loewes can do anything with PAL progressive scan, though, can they?

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The latest Chassis - Q2500 accepts NTSC and PAL prog scan via the VGA card.

7. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello again Nicolas,

You might want to read this...

I think you'll find it very intriguing. ;)

Also, do a search for "Loewe VGA scan" on these very forums, and that should produce some quite interesting reading.

SMP

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    So I'd have to buy a component-to-VGA converter as well?

9. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Spidey, I have actually read that. I'm not sure how much practical use that will be as a) I'm not considering going down the HTPC route just yet, and b) as I mentioned before I am extremely sensitive to flicker, so it's very unlikely that I would be able to tolerate the necessary 50Hz refresh rate for the hi res mode.

As this seems to be turning into a Loewe thread, would anyone like to comment on what the difference is in picture quality terms between the several hundred Loewe models currently available? If I wanted to buy a Loewe set, which one would give me the best possible picture with the minimum number of additional extras and expense?

10. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicolas,

This is something I will seriously be considering, I don't think there's a TV out there that can offer the flexibilty and performance mix of a Loewe. If you manage to get satisfied, then let me know, because I (and I probably aren't alone in this!) regard you as one of the fussiest buggers on these forums! :rotfl: And if it's good enough for you, then I'm sure it'll surfice for the rest of us!

As I said before, good luck

SMP

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nic....I've got a Toshiba 50WT29B RPTV....before buying it I looked at the prices of plasma screens etc,and also compared the picture quality of this TV Vs several other RPTVs(both CRT and LCD)and then also compared it with some of the more affordably priced plasmas from Samsung,Pioneer and Panasonic.

I know that each has it's benefits and drawbacks,and the major benefits of RPTV are picture quality(when properly set-up)black level/contrast and obviously price.
    The drawbacks are to an extent size,and also viewing angle,which I have to say isn't a major problem with this TV.
    Flicker,which I also find very distracting,is also not an issue.

12. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    oer this could throw me!
    Are some of you saying that a RP can offer excellent PQ compared with a CRT 36"? As I am about to go down the PD30 or PF2 route. Not thought about a RP as it would need to sit ontop of my AV unit and a 362 will-albeit just :)

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Anastie...your best bet is to go and compare a few plasmas/RPTVs/Flat Screen CRT's.....there are good and bad in all the groups,but a well set up RPTV can deliver very good pictures.

14. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    so what RPTv's under £2000 can you recommend?