VIA C3 processor

Jonesthegas

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone built a HTPC around one of these? The C3 is a low power (and therefore low heat) socket 370 CPU from VIA.

What I would like to know is would a Zalman cooler with the fan off provide enough cooling? It would then, with a fanless GPU cooler and a quiet PSU, be the start of a very quiet HTPC.

Also, is a CPU running at 900MHz enough for a HTPC?

Martin

I am also interested in this, tiny cases with just the sockets you need for HCPCs. Look cool.

I tried a 700Mhz one out a while ago and it ran like a dog I'm afraid. You could probably just run an HTPC on it (with HW accel) but don't expect to do much extra image processing with it. When I get the time I was going to build a totally silent hi-fi machine with my chip and an old zalman fan as you suggest.

John

I had thought of using the 933 MHz model in a VIA Apollo 133T motherboard with lots of RAM. Along with this a Holo3D card and a Radeon 9500 128Pro, hoping these components would do all the processing and therefore I would not require a fast CPU. The OS would be XP Pro.

How does this sound? A slightly bizarre alternative would be to use 2 of them in a dual processor board with 2 zalman coolers. How does that sound?:confused:

Martin

Using the H3D that sounds just fine, its only using Dscaler that adds requirement for extra processing power.

Does anyone know if Dscaler supports dual CPUs?

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom