1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS-what to do with tapes

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by DaveG, Feb 4, 2001.

1. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I just wondered what other members have done with their old tape collections. Have you part-exchanged them for DVD's, or sold them, if so where.
    Also are you replacing all your tapes with discs.
    I only ask as I have about 500 tapes spread across 3 bookcases, unlike my 90 DVD's spread across 2 shelves. So far I have only replaced 5 tapes Alien trilogy and Die Hard 1+2.
    One other thing a lot of my tapes are ex-rental, but I don't think I will be buying any ex-rental DVD's if the studios refuse to put any extras on rental only DVD's.

2. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have loads of VHS tapes around. So far I have replaced the top movies. I am thinking of getting Die Hard 1 & 2, but they are not anamorphic. I hope they release these as Special Editions with Anamorphic picture and DTS sound.

Most of my old tapes i have thown away in the bin, to be honest nobody wants them even if you offer them to people. I was thinking of giving some of them away to hospitals or alike.

3. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Gave most of my collection away to family and friends.

Sad really, but I just can't go back to watching a film on Pro Logic with crappy picture resolution anymore.

Only ones that I have kept are things like the Star Wars Trilogy (both Spec and Non Spec editions) The Indie Trilogy, The Backto the Future Trilogy and my Star Trek -pre Fist Contact collection.

Oh, and some of the Disney cartoons - Lion King and Beauty & Beast etc.

4. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sure I read somewhere that they are bringing out a SE of the Die Hard Trilogy this year.
    I'm getting fed up with these bloody SE releases ie X-Men SE to follow, Dogma SE released soon and now The Mummy ultimate edition. I mean you never had this problem with VHS, well except Aliens, oh and Abyss and Blade runner and of course Star Wars trilogy.
    So the film companys have been taking the p*ss for ages, but it's still f*&%$#g annoying.

One other thing I'm sure my copies of Die Hard 1+2 (R2) are anamorhic.

5. eros

eros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your not that bothered about picture/sound quality and you have a computer you could digitise them onto your hard drive until such time as their is a viable, cheap cd/dvd recordable format. (mpeg4 sounds promising and uses standard cdr's)
    Doing this you would keep the films you spent your hard earned cash on and have them on a more robust medium at a later date.

Of course if quality is paramount forget everything I've said.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Get down to that car boot sale and get some cash for them.
    I sold all mine in one big go! Sad day.
    Be prepared to haggle like a double hard b*st**d though, those car boot lot are professionals! I kid you not.
    When I opened the boot of my car to unload, they swooped in to get the early buys, Star Wars etc went instantly!
    I started at £3-£4 a tape, but once they had been cherry picked, to get rid of them, it fast became 2 for £2, or 10 for a £5 and so on.
    At the end it was sad to say, 50p each!

Demoralised to say the least.
    However, I came away with about £160 all in which went straight back into discs!
    I'm happy, the wife is happy, less clutter and the quality is vastly superior.

Be brave and do it. VHS is poor stuff. DVD is what you should be thinking now.
    Have fun.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

7. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have replaced all tapes with those presently available on dvd.In a moving ceremony i placed the old heroic vhs relics on a burning boat,and watched it sail across the channel.The tears rolled down the cheeks,
    like there was no tomorrow.

8. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what the demand like for star wars
    i just bought the laserdiscs to replacemy videos. WHat are the chances of selling them, how much do you think they're worth (widescreen SE).

Have lots of videos to sell, now, many have been replaced by dvd and laser

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Forget what? [​IMG]

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

LIke several others, I recommend either selling your tapes for cash, or giving them away to the local library, or something similar.

You won't get much, cash wise, for VHS, unless their pretty special boxed-sets or in absolute mint condition. Even then, I think that if you bought a VHS tape for £12-99 new, then you'll be lucky to get more than £3 for them. And that's not even taking into account, how many times you've watched them, or the condition that the box and cover is in.

However, if you check out the back of magazines likes "Empire" or "HCC" or even "Sight & Sound", you'll find companies in London, who'll buy your entire collection from you, as long as you have at least 100 tapes, or something similar. That might be worth a looksy.

Pooch

11. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, i've seen that, saw one for 30 films +
    which was quite attractive, cant find it again though, ive got aboot 45 videos, not that many so the 100+ ones ain't so good

dont know how much they'd offer

second hand record shops usually buy videos to resell

i tried this with some star trek films, but shockingly they refused, so i gave them to someone along with his christmas present

------------------

member formerly known as hank hill, the Jesus H
    but he got bored of that so changed to some latin sh*t
    'which is nice'

12. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine have been reincarnated as blanks.

13. GidGrace

GidGrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Every time I replace a video with a DVD, I give the old tape to my girlfriend. Thus, she thinks she's got a gift and I make sure that I've got my fave films in the two places where I spend most of my time.

I haven't managed to persuade her to buy into DVD just yet - although she's mighty impressed with my kit, she doesnt see the point of duplicating what I have, cos when we move in together it will be redundant - I see her point.

Gid

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has everyone gone mad?????????????

I have hundreds of tapes and also hundreds of DVD's. I try not to buy anything I already have on tape (except specials!!!) but like all my old vinyl records, I love sometimes watching them... also some things you'll never get on DVD???

I could never get rid of mine and if anyone wanted rid of their'd I'll come around and take them???

I guess I just love cinema (in any format)

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Where do you put them all?
    Discs take a fraction of the space, as well as being a vastly better format in every sense.
    If I could store VHS I would have probably kept them, but not to be.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Och no! VHS was always a bit nasty. Very little real detail there (especially if you are talking letterboxed) Good riddance!

The only concession I make is taping stuff off digital to SVHS. That way you can obtain the titles that aren't available on dvd yet in hopefully an anamorphic format.

17. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went through my collection last weekend and identified several hundred tapes that I'm just going to junk.

Other stuff that I want to keep (if its recorded in standard play) I'm transferring to DVHS. I can fit all 70 odd episodes of Lovejoy onto 4 tapes in DVHS and the transfers are pretty much transparent.

Its certainly made archiving easier, and at around £6 for a good quality SVHS blank (for DVHS recording) its pretty cost effective as well

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I have them then?????????

Duncan?

19. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which DVHS recorder are you using,Duncan.And how much are the tapes or can you use standard VHS?

Sorry for my ignorance.

20. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the JVC H1000 (or something like that) DVHS which I've now had for around 10 months.

I usually use Fuji Super VHS Pro grade E240s usually as these hold 17.25 hours when recording at the L3 4.7mbps recording mode. To my eyes this gives a transparent transfer when recording from VHS and SVHS.

As an example as I'm currently living in Holland I get my Dad to record Poldark off UK Gold onto SVHS and then I dub these onto DVHS - no quality loss, and the result - the whole 29 episodes on 2x SVHS E180

For older stuff as I said in my original post, I've transferred my off air Lovejoys (every episode bar one from season three) onto DVHS reducing 26 tapes worth of material onto 4. Furthermore all 14 episodes of A Very Perculiar Practice and the Film One - A Very Polish Practice are on one tape. Doomwatch, Doctor Who, Survivors, The Forsyte Saga, and many other gems from my VHS collection have also been transferred in this way

As I have around 800 DVDs and 150 LD's - tape has to fight for its shelf space, and hence DVHS is a god send.

WIth regard to the VHS tapes - well if they are prerecorded then I've either sold them or given them away. For those which I taped myself - I'm planning to junk them when I get back to the UK at the end of April (although Lovejoy, Doomwatch and VPP will be thrown out later this week as the tapes are with me in Holland).

Bond - where are you based - my tapes are at my parents house near Lichfield. I suppose you could have them if you could pick them up. Basically there are 4 large boxes full of VHS tapes which I no longer want - most of which contain films, documentaries and series which have either been transferred or are no longer of use to me

21. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm pretty glad to get rid of tapes. you can't relly compare them to records as records do not degrade and you can get superior audio from them. Tapes ar inferior and degrade and take up twice as much space as DVD's

------------------

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t

22. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

Are you serious?

As I said, I still like VHS and would love to take the videos off your hands.

I was based in Essex just before christmas but I have just brought a house in Leamington Spa, so I believe Lichfield is nr Brum? Is this so????

If it's the place I'm thinking of there's a great curry house called the eastern eye next to a place called the Swan hotel?