1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS transfer to PC with JVC GR-D290 pass-through

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Cam Korda, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Cam Korda

Cam Korda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't documented in the JVC GR-D290 manual but this camcorder also supports pass-through ie. you can transfer a VHS tape from a VCR directly to a PC through the camcorder.

1. Don't put a tape in the camcorder, make sure camcorder is OFF.
    2. Connect the AV cable to the camcorder and VCR. Note: You'll need a switchable SCART adaptor because the camcorder comes with an "output only" SCART adaptor.
    3. Connect the firewire (DV) cable to the PC first and then the other end to the camcorder.
    4. Power the camcorder with the ac adapter and not the battery.
    5. Switch the camcorder on to PLAY position.
    6. In the camcorder's menu set S/AV INPUT to A/V IN.
    7. Start software eg. Movie Maker, play VHS tape in VCR and you should see it in the preview screen. The camcorder controls in Movie Maker will be greyed out because there's no tape to control.
    8. Start capture..... Stop capture :)

I've tested it using Windows Movie Maker in Windows XP and you can see the VHS video being played in the preview screen. This means you can capture whatever is playing on the preview screen.

2. TheHex

TheHex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. very helpful :D

3. 4kidsmom

4kidsmom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have two questions about how to do this:
    1. Could you post a link or give a specific name of a "switchable SCART adaptor"? I did a search and came up with 100s of them :) most in the UK also

2. How do you "in the camcorder's menu set S/AV INPUT to A/V IN"? I have searched and searched my manual and can't find it.

Thanks for any help :)

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Switchable scart adapter Here

Mark.