1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vhs To Vcd

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Blu-rayx, Mar 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    hi,
    is it possible to transfer vhs to vcd without havig to copying it first using a DV camcorder.
    in other words is there a way of connecting my vhs to the pc.
    i know it's long shot, but their is no harm in asking.
    i have a pc with a cd writer using nero burn rom.

thanks

dvd

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    You will need a device which can capture analog video onto your Hard Disk. I use a special video card for this purpose (Matrox Rainbow Runner - no longer available) and there are many of these available. I believe I've seen a special USB cable that will also do the same thing.

Depending on the capture device, you will probably then need a program to convert the captured video to a format suitable for VCD. TMPGENC is probably the best one that's free.

I recommend Nero to burn the CD. This product is probably the most reliable burner software although it lacks some flexibility and is not hugely intuitive to use.

Spend some time looking at www.vcdhelp.com for everything you need to know on this subject and more.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another suitable capture card is the Dazzle DVCII - see mine in the For Sale section!

I've used this with success to produce VCD and SVCD, if you buy a DVD Burner it will even produce DVDs

DaveP

4. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave how does the quality compare on VCD and SVCD to VHS. Obviously if you transfer from VHS to VCD it wont be better but Iwas thinking of other sources, Digital Video etc?
    Rog

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    VCD quality is estimated to be roughly on a par with regular VHS. It's cleaner (as it's digital) but this is offset by the introduction of pixellation (blockiness) where there is a lot of movement, because the fixed data rate can't cope. The quality of the encoder has a HUGE impact on this, but even the best can't avoid it completely on busy scenes. The resolution is, in pixels, 352x288 (PAL), 352x240(NTSC). VCDs can play for 74 or 80 minutes (same as audio)

SVCD uses MPEG2 compression and a variable data rate, much more like DVD. Quality roughly the same as SVHS. Less prone to pixellation, but larger file size means less running time on a CD (35 minutes - ish). Resolution = 480x576 (PAL), 480x480 (NTSC). Compare with DVD at 704x576 or 704x480.

6. vgmf

vgmf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lecktropak [ I think that is how you spell it ] the electronic cable and goodie people sell a VCD recorder. I think it cost about £600-£700 and can do both VCD and SVCD recordings