1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to pc via mini dv taking up a lot of hd space

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by abs, Feb 29, 2004.

1. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    i have tried copying some video footage from vcr to pc via my sony dcr 330 dv camcorder using firewire..i have copied about 2 hours of footage to my computer which has taken up a lot of hard drive space approx 35 gb for 2 hours.

i am using ulead v/s 7 for capture. is it normal to take up so much hd space or am i doing something wrong..

thanks

abs

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    About 13 or 14Gb an hour for DV (which is what your analog footage is beig converted to) is normal.

DV is compressed at that rate too ! Uncompressed .avi would take up even more :eek:

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yep! approx 15Gb per hour of DV footage is right. Video editing on the PC does eat up disk space, but with 120Gb drives for about £60 this is no longer too much of a problem. Also don't forget to allow at least double the space used for capture so you still have space for editing and file conversion etc. So 2 hours of footage should really be on a disk of at least 60Gb.

Mark.

4. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    thanks for the replies guys