1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to PC backup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by onefivenine, May 10, 2005.

1. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    I'm trying to transfer from VHS to PC and I get the audio OK but no picture. I must be missing something obvious but I can't quite figure it out!

I've tried two methods:

1) Using a SQART from TV socket on VCR into an RGB to S-Video convertor. Then S-video (& audio L&R) into a hauppauge 150. (This works fine with my Telewest box as the source by the way.)
    and
    2) SQART into the convertor then composite into tv-card.

If anyone can suggest what the problem might be I'd be most grateful!

2. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    VCRs don't output RGB. Unless you have an S-VHS machine your VCR will only output a Composite signal. So, your RGB converter is expecting an RGB signal and only getting a Composite one that it can't process. Method 1 works with the Telewest box because I assume this is outputting RGB (or S-Video) which the convertor can convert (or pass through) into S-Video.

I think the only way you'll capture the VCR output is to use a SCART --> Composite cable connected to the TV capture card (assuming this is capable of Composite input).

3. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
  4. joegib

joegib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As it happens I've got one of these Maplins units and it works fine at outputting an S-Video or Composite signal. But, it can't output either if it's not being fed with an RGB signal via its SCART input. And, as explained earlier, it's not getting RGB from your VCR!

5. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Now I understand, thanks for confirming that. I think was expecting the convertor to pass through a composite sync signal (?) but like you say the only specified input on the convertor is RGB... so much of this malarkey is still unclear!
    I think I'll ditch the VCR as I only have one VHS cassette anyway - and it's now available on DVD. Cheers!