1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to mini DV capture problem

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by neilk_22, Jul 26, 2004.

1. neilk_22

neilk_22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to edit footage shot on VHS on my pc by transferring it with my mini dv camera. Every video i try to capture has distortion near the top. Is this caused by the vcr or the camera? I've tried messing with the camera controls but can't seem to find what's causing the problem. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 things:

Is the source vhs a commerical tape?, if it is a copyrighted tape you may be getting a macrovision copy protect distortion signal coming though?.

The only way round this (assuming that you have the appropriate copyright clearances etc) is to go through some other device which shall strip the macrovision signal (usually takes the form of a missing synch pulse) out such as a professional video mixer.

Other issue could be overscan, on your tv set and lcd you miss around 10% around the edge of the frame through overscan, if this distortion is only on top 10% of image as it appears on your PC monitor you are probably safe enough.

Other than that you could check the tracking on the source deck, if the distortion appears when you are actually copying as well as on playback it is most likely a problemm with the cource deck, if the problem only occours on playback it sounds more like a problem with your camcorder.