VHS to DVD - sound synch problems

CatDog

Standard Member
Basically I'm trying to get video from VHS (and an analog camcorder) onto DVD for posterity. I've captured the video using my Avermedia USB 2.0 Plus, and its fine played on the PC. Then used Sonic MyDVD to create a simple DVD and burned it to disk. The bad news is that when I play any of the clips on the disk the lip synch get badly lost within a few seconds of starting !

I've scanned the Sonic website which suggests its the captured video causing the problem but all the settings they detail seem correct. My machine is a 2.8Ghz P4 and I have tons of fresh unused disk space. The disk is a DVD-R burned at 8x

Any advice on how to overcome/correct this problem would be warmly received !

:lease:

MarkE19

This is a fairly common problem with USB capture devices. However I would suggest that you try to burn the disc at a lower speed to see if this helps.
What TV are you viewing the DVD on? If it is a digital display such as a plasma or LCD then this will also cause a slight delay in the picture due to the digital processing carried out.

You may well not notice a delay on bought DVD's, but with both of the above added together the delay may become obvious.

Mark.

CatDog

Standard Member
Hi Mark, thanks for your help. I've tried burning at a slower speed and sadly its still the same. I've had a closer listen, and I can actually hear the sound 'wobbling' on occasion. (thats on a 32" crt). Same if

I captured the video at the very highest setting (and I didn't bother killing my virus checker etc). Would it be worth trying it again at a lower quality setting ?

Anyone any other ideas please ? (I have tons of home video I'm desperate to get onto disk).

MarkE19

If quality is important to you then I would strongly suggest you get a Canopus ADVC converter to do the capture. these start from around £150 so aren't cheap but do give excellent results.
A cheaper option is that if you have a digital camcorder with AV-in then you can use that to do the conversion. Just be aware though that most UK sold camcorders don't have AV-in - but if thinking of getting a nice new cam for Chrimbo.......... :devil:

Mark.

MarkE19

Oh and another thing - you should kill all background programs when captureing & editing video as they can take up a load of processing power. I use a free downloadable prog called EndItAll2, but you will still need to disable screen savers and power save modes.

Good luck,
Mark.

CatDog

Standard Member
Thanks Mark. To answer your comments, quality isn't that important (most of the source material is pretty average at best), but I've listened to a lot more and the sound actually slurs at times as well as being out of synch - its pretty crap basically !

As for your other suggestions I'm not really up for buying new kit at the moment.

I thing I'll get EndItAll2 and try capturing the video again at a lower quality level, see if that helps. If not I might have to try your more expensive suggestions. Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve.

Trending threads

Top Bottom