VHS to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CSK, Nov 2, 2003.

1. CSK

CSK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Can anyone tell me what is the best way for archiving my video collection to DVD-R, what settings to use etc.

I am using a HS2 and so far have copied a VHS tape to the HDD in XP mode.
    Most of the VHS tapes are cartoons for my nephews :D I am not sure if that will make a difference to the settings?

Thanks

Andy

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Connect you VCR upto AV2 on the HS2 using a reasonable quality Scart cable (anymore than £20 and your not going to see the benefit). Ensure you set your input/output options to either Video or S-Video (if you have an S-VCR) in Functions/Settings/Connections on the HS2.

Use XP mode (as you have been) and copy to the HDD. Edit ("Partial Erase") as necessary and the dub to DVD-R selecting Flexible Record "FR".

If the tapes are copy protected you will need a device to stablise the picture. However such devices are not legal to sell anymore. Nevertheless you might pick one up second hand or look at a device such as:
    http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?Hash=218&dept_id=102

3. CSK

CSK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, what sort of problems would i see with picture if it is copy protected? and would I see these problems when viewing from the HDD before burning to DVD-R?

Also am I correct in thinking that the encoding rate for a video tape is less so I should be able to copy more than just 1 tape to DVD-R in FR mode?

and if so how can I tell how many I can fit on 1 DVD-R?

the one I have done already is 1h 30mins on HDD (XP mode)

My DVD-R's dont arrive until tomorrow so I have time to get this straight in my head.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    NO!!!! VHS is a very noisy source so needs a high bitrate to maintain quality. Ideally you shouldn't archive more than 90 minutes of such footage to a single DVD-R.

Naturally the amount you record onto a DVD-R is upto you! As I say though around 90 minutes for VHS is a good trade off between quality and capacity.

This should be fine to dub (in FR mode) to DVD-R. Remember you can always dub the recording to a DVD-RAM to see how it will look - the original will stay on the HDD.

You would know if it was copy protected. The picture wouldn't stabilise and you would have severe colour bleeding.

5. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the tape is copy protected you will probably get a message saying that you cannot record copy-protected sources when you try to start recording - the E50 certainly does.

I've found that with reasonable material 90 minutes looks as good as the original tape (but can be better because of sync stabilisation). With some poor tapes I've recorded well over two and a half hours with little degradation as the video noise of the tape seemed to hide the artifacting. Strange, but as my brother couldn't see much wrong with the recording (and he is very critical of video problems) I'm happy enough with that.

The acceptable recording time is entirely down to personal preference - if you are a highly critical person you will find fault in all but XP mode, if you are more... anally relaxed?... then you'll find a much longer recording time is ok. Do some experiments at different recording modes and pick whatever you find acceptable.

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am interested in Rasczak's comment that the "video stabiliser" devices we know of are illegal.Since when?I have seen no mention of this anywhere.I know they are in the US,but please confirm source.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    There has been a change in UK law to comply with an EU Directive. It's well explained on www.keene.co.uk website:

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can also copy via a Beta vcr first - this does work!!!!!!

Also there are other M****vision defeating products - ie everyones least favourite DVD modifier/seller

9. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The above change to copyright law is interesting.As we know,a good deal of tv's and projectors have problems with Macrovision and these devices are the only way to stop the problem.It will be interesting to see the result of the first court case that argues that there is a legitimate use for these devices