VHS To DVD Questons

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by zack33, Mar 25, 2006.

1. zack33

zack33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I am about to put my old life (all 28 yrs of it LOL) to Digital, and I have a few questions that need answering....UK PAL SCART

My Camcorder....PANASONIC NV-GS200EB 3CCD PAL

My VHS Recorder....GOODMANS VN9500S PAL

My Cable.....SCART TO S-VIDEO

(A) Does it matter what type of VHS recorder I use...i mean will a Toshiba VCR give better play quality (to camcorder) than a Goodmans VCR...and should I clean the heads of my VCR

(B) Will I get a better ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL conversion with a 3CCD camcorder than compared to a single CCD camcorder

(C) should I save at 720 x 576....WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE as its going to be viewed on a HD LCD...but because its VHS should i not bother

(D) I have heard of people using a PASS-THRU..so that you are not limited to using the 1 hour tapes....What is it....is it available for my camcorder

(E) Is the Scart to Svideo...the best way to capture from VHS to Camcorder

Thanks

zack

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    (A) Does it matter what type of VHS recorder I use...i mean will a Toshiba VCR give better play quality (to camcorder) than a Goodmans VCR...and should I clean the heads of my VCR

Yes - the quality of playback on VHS recorders varies... though compared to DVD any VHS will not be as good. Use as good of a VCR as you can, with clean heads.

(B) Will I get a better ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL conversion with a 3CCD camcorder than compared to a single CCD camcorder

No, the 3 CCDs only come into effect when you are "shooting" with the camcorder. Still, you have a quality camcorder which should do a good job.

(C) should I save at 720 x 576....WILL IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE as its going to be viewed on a HD LCD...but because its VHS should i not bother

Yes - you want to capture as DV, which is 720x576. If you are using the camcorder to do the analogue/digital conversion, this is what you will get, there is no other option.

(D) I have heard of people using a PASS-THRU..so that you are not limited to using the 1 hour tapes....What is it....is it available for my camcorder

Pass-Through is simply connecting an analogue input to your camcorder, and the DV output to the PC. Then the camcorder can do the conversion, without a tape. Without finding your manual and reading it I can't say for sure, but I would expect your camcorder will do this. I see your camcorder has AV-in and DV-out.

(E) Is the Scart to Svideo...the best way to capture from VHS to Camcorder

No, unless you have a S-VHS VCR which supports S-video out, you will need to use a composite video connection between the VCR and the camcorder. Between the camcorder and the PC will be DV (firewire) cable.

Also note: You need to make sure that the SCART connection to the VCR is in and out, and the cable also is. Many/most are in-only. The SCART which normally goes to the TV will obviously be in/out. You may need something like this:
    http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr519.html

You can then connect a composite video cable (one probably came with the camcorder) to this SCART, with the switch set to out.

3. zack33

zack33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response

I have just a couple of questions

(1) my VCR has the 3 component connections (yellow/white/red).. but not the camcorder it has S-video in/out and DV...So I need the Component to S-video connection

(2) When I saved my DV Video footage from GS200EB to PC via Firewire to DVD I got 1 hour worth of footage fitted onto 1 DVD (4.7gb) at 12/Mbits/sec bitrate.......What bitrate should I capture the VHS footage...and should I store 1 hour per DVD or less

zack

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    (1) my VCR has the 3 component connections (yellow/white/red).. but not the camcorder it has S-video in/out and DV...So I need the Component to S-video connection

Those are not component connections. The Yellow is video (composite). Red and White are Audio. Your VCR does not have S-video, so you can't use that. It is a different signal.

You should have a cable which has 3 similar cables on one end, and a 3.5mm mini plug on the other. It is called the AV cable. Put the mini plug into the camcorder in the jack labled "AV input phones". See page 48 of the manual:

http://techdocs.panasonic.co.uk/doc...tsn2/data/ALL/NVGS120EB/OI/739296/vqt0h94.pdf

If you have S-video out on the VCR by all means use the S-video cable (labled 2). If not, use the AV cable (labled 1).

Also, as I said before, I bet that yellow video socket on the VCR is input only, so that won't work as you need output from the VCR. That is why you need a Scart to AV adapter.

(2) When I saved my DV Video footage from GS200EB to PC via Firewire to DVD I got 1 hour worth of footage fitted onto 1 DVD (4.7gb) at 12/Mbits/sec bitrate.......What bitrate should I capture the VHS footage...and should I store 1 hour per DVD or less

The max allowed by the DVD standard is just over 10 Mbits/sec, including the audio. All the software I've used won't let you create a disc over the standard, even if you can it may not play.

Because your VHS is lower quality to begin with you can use a lower rate and not notice... don't go too low though as then you may make it even worse. Something like a rate of 4.6 which would fit 2 hours per disc should be fine.

Mark

5. zack33

zack33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

I've been trying to hook up my Camcorder to the VCR... but I am having problems:(

So I have a few new Questions

(1) I have brought a Stereo Audio & Video In/Out SCART Adaptor Nickel Plated from TESCO for £5...Should I have gone for a better quality one..I am connecting to Camcoder via the Phono Connection (eg. The connection end on the DC is the same type of connection you get for your walkman headphones...the other end is 3 connections which are R/Y/W...which I connect to my Tesco Scart...which is connected to my VCR.

(2) My sister has a DVD/VHS combi player TOSHIBA SD 23VB Which has a S-VIDEO OUT....should I scrap my Stereo Audio & Video In/Out SCART Adaptor Nickel Plated...and use this connection...Would it give better capture results

(3) When using the Stereo Audio & Video In/Out SCART Adaptor Nickel Plated.....I can only capture to SD Card...Not to DV tape....How can I capture to DV tape...

6. zack33

zack33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it be nice to get a response, to my question as i'm still waiting

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,311
    zack33:
    Perhaps you might have got more reaction if you had put your question in the normal colour and size. Some might consider use of large fonts, bold, colour for an entire post to be akin to shouting.

1: VHS tape is pretty poor quality in the overall scheme of things so there's little to be gained by higher quality connections.
    2: If your tapes are regular VHS (as opposed to SVHS) then this will offer no advantage. It's possible that the SVideo output on the combination deck is for DVD only anyway. If you have SVHS recordings then, yes, if it works, SVideo will offer better results.
    3: Don't know wanything about your camcorder. Sorry.

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Zack,

I agree with Nigel. The connector is fine, and I would bet that the S-video out is for the DVD part only... and as Nigel said assuming the tapes are normal VHS (not S-VHS) you can't do any better than the ordinary composite video connection.

As for getting DV - you need to look at the manual for your camcorder. On Sony camcorders I've done this with there is a setting you have to turn on to do AV to DV conversion. I expect yours has the same, but I too don't know the camcorder so best is to start with the manual.

Mark