1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to dvd preservation

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdud, Oct 22, 2004.

1. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    I’ve got to get ‘snippets’ of stuff from loads of vhs tapes into digital form before the tapes deteriorate too much – some are losing their watchability as I type!! What I’d like to know is if I transfer said ‘snippets’ via a dvd recorder (not purchased yet) can I at a later date edit/transfer these discs onto a PC (when I can afford to buy a new one with lots of memory etc) so I can maybe add details such as rearrange the clips i.e. alphabetically, add titles delete and generally do more than I might be able to on the recorder? I’m not tech minded so the recorder seems the best easiest option for the short term – and to save the vhs tape clips, but it would be good to know if I can ‘lift off’ the recorded clips at a later date and play around with them.
    All replies that enlighten me and allow me to see through the murky gloom that is my mind when confronted with the process and options available in DVD will be very gratefully received.

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The surest way of being able to do what you want is if the dvd recorder has an 'iLink' firewire socket that lets you transfer from recorder to DV camcorder (not sure if it's only an input when provided or 2-way).

That way it's easy to transfer to pc from camcorder tape, and most of the simplest editing software (eg iMovie) is geared to manipulating DV clips. After editing you can burn to DVD on pc if set up that way, or take back to dv tape, then input this to dvd recorder.

Adrian

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most DVD recorders and HDD recorders do not output digital signal. As far as I know, one JVC and Pioneer can output.But I am not sure what signal is it.
    There is a problem editing clips recorded in MPEG 2 stream, Best way it to have clips in DV mode, but it take a lot of space (13GB per hour).

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the appropriate software on your PC, you will have no problem copying a DVD that you have made on a "standalone" DVD recorder, from a DVD drive on your PC onto a hard disc for subsequent editing. You do not need to worry about having a DVD standalone with digital output as long as you have a DVD reader/writer in your PC when you want to get round to editing/trimming/tweaking/organising. As everyday goes by, software becomes more sophisticated and storage costs come down - so there's no great hurry!

5. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tabatha,
    can you edit on PC MPEG2 stream with frame accuracy without picture degradetion or pause between cuts?

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you cannot unless you transcode the MPEG2 file into a different format that gives frame accuracy.

In my experience, such accuracy is not worth the effort for archived material as the few frames inaccuracy is usually only a fraction of a second.

I often take ad breaks out of feature films and dramas I wish to keep and absolute frame accuracy has never been an issue. The advantage of the reduced file size required for MPEG2 has more than outweighed the disadvantages. Nevertheless, I bought a JVC HMHDS1 and HMHDS4 SVHS/HD combos only because they had Digital Input AND Output - the same for the Pioneer 5100.

7. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Except the SONY 900, I have JVC HDS4 also, because of the DV mode and frame accuracy editing, I record music videos and it looks bad if you cant cut them frame accuratly.

8. tdale

tdale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 2c worth.
    I have a DV Camcorder, DV Recorder, and have archived my VHS tapes. Ill give my opinion on the options

A) Is to use the PC. I did this by using the pass through on the DV Camcorder to PC. Capture was easy, editing was easy, authoring to DVD was easy. I like the editing on the DVD Recorder (E85), but it is basic, and a bit slow, but fine for chopping out stuff from movies or compilinga kids multi-title DVD, bit I woudl get a bit tired of doing VHS tapes. Far easier on the PC

B) If you dont have a DV Camcorder to use for capturing via pass-thru, a DVD Recorder with Firewire would be an easy way to capture at quality. To get the file onto the PC would mean copying the mpg file to a DVDRW.

Editing mpg or the raw (almost raw) avi, is in my opinion nto an issue. I used to edit the 13gb avi with VDub, to cut bits out, and to chop the avi to smaller avis so I can set the menu titiles as I wanted. But, I now encode the avi to mpg, then edit it with the authoring program. That isnt re-encoding, its just using the segments of the encoded mpg file. Both Vdub and TMPG DVD Author seem to allow frame edits at the iframe, nto at any frame, so on that basis I dont think it matters which ethod, either way, there is one capture, and one encode, so the end quality shoudl be the same.

Any comments, agreeing or disagreeinh, Im keen to hear, always something to learn.

Cheers all

9. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mini DV camera, but I rarely make any special editing. Both my recorders have DV in.
    Only I-frame editing is not good enough form making usic videos DVDs.
    And for me it is more complicated using and PC. With HDD recorder (JVC) it is a matter of minutes to make 1h program of clips.
    Don't get me wrong - I use computers a lot, graphic desigh and picture editing.