VHS to DVD (or other digital format)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CfP, Dec 14, 2004.

1. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a bunch of VHS and Hi-8 media that I want to cut over to digital format.

What is the level of quality that I need to maintain the original quality. Some's good quality, some average.

I basically want to preserve the original quality so that it isn't lost/worn any more.

CfP (Craig)

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also wondering this and was going to work it out by trial and error, but is someone has the answer that would be good.

I have VHS recorded in LP and SP and didn't know what the lowest bitrate I could set my Tosh XS32 to for each of these.

I'm guessing it's quite low.

3. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience has been that it is always best to use the highest quality you can afford. On my 880, HQ is the highest but with 1 hour recording time, its not practical. SP+ (2.5 hours) and LP (3 hours) has proved to be the best for keeping quality pretty good and although I have a lot of VHS to DVD transfer done in EP, you can notice some digital interference sometimes. It also depends on how demanding the original is, as older more worn VHS tapes only look slightly different in EP to SP but newer computer generated films (i.e. Toy Story) look much. much better in SP than in EP. My Philips 880 has `monitor` mode, which allows me to view the quality in each mode before recording but you do this with a DVD-+RW disc to test before burning for real.

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    I wouldn't personally risk trying to get more than 2 hours per DVD, ie using SP mode. I find it hard to spot the difference at this quality level except that the DVD recording is timebase corrected and much more stable. :)