1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD conversion

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Stimpy, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,
    I don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes.
    I have a stack of old VHS tapes that I want to transfer to DVD.
    I have a cheap and nasty USB based capure card from Pinnicle (about £50)
    a DVD writer and a fairly old Athlon XP 2200+ based machine with 512Mb of memory.
    I'be so far tried to write one DVD (ice age) and the quality is crap to be honest (worse than VHS).
    First attempt was to capture at 320x240 resolution using Microsoft Movie maker. Although I have Nero and Ulead software, they don't like using different audio in ports (I have a steinberg audio card with a much better analog to digital converter).
    Now Microsoft movie maker, that comes with XP cannot write to DVDs.
    I then import the resulting Mpeg file into Ulead and write to DVD (takes an age). Result, nasty blocky picture (displayed on 42" plasma).
    I then tried capturing at 640x480 resolution, the result. Slightly better picture, but jerky movement.
    a) what am I doing wrong
    b) should I start using blur effects to get rid of jaggies??
    c) is there a better way of doing it that would also be quicker as it can take all night to convert the video to DVD resolution.