1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vhs to camcorder thru pc w/o making file?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by chalmer$, Feb 11, 2005.

1. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've go my vcr connected to my pc with a regular coaxial(regular "cable") cable and my camcorder connected to my pc with firewire. Vcr connected through an ATI TV Tuner card and the Camcorder through a seperate Pinnacle firewire card.
    Is it possible to record from the vhs to the camcorder without having to make an .avi (or whatever format) from the vcr first and then transfer to the camcorder(to conserve quality)?

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Would you not be better just getting a scart to phono block with an in/out switch on (available at Mapplins for less than a tenner) and connecting your cam directly to your VCR using the AV in (assuming your cam has this) If you have DV in you would almost certainly have AV in.

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes as brummy says - you don't need a computer at all.

AV out on VCR to AV in on camcorder

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost right...

If the tapes are off air recordings or from your own camcorder for example then vcr out to av-in will work. If the tapes are pre-recorded bought from a retailer kind of thing then they may have macro vision protection on them.

Maplins sell a device that converts composite to rgb or y/c which as a side affect strips off the macrovision protection.

5. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony DCR-TRV130 and it can only receive through firewire, it seems. The only other connection options are S-video out and A/V out. VCR only has A/V in/out ports (no firewire, optical, etc.)

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sorry brum, but not really true. Many camcorders have DV-in but not AV-in :mad:

Mark.

7. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    oops, :blush: sorry everybody. No excuses :oops:

8. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had a look at some of the reviews and they are suggesting that this camera has video/s-video in/out. Does this sound right?

9. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The camera connections are labeled S-vid out and a/v out. No "in" at all except for the dv in/out. I've tried running the video out of the vcr to the av out on the camcorder just to make sure but to no avail. Is there maybe a way to change the software in the camcorder to accept video in through the av out?

10. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if your camera does not have AV in then the only other option if you don't want to use a computer is a stand alone analogue to digital converter

11. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Not one to give up a pointless point, even when I've dug through to Australia :boring: but how did you connect the cam to the vcr video out? Is it by scart, and did you use the supplied scart composite video adaptor? If so, this is only a uni-directional adaptor (ie cam to vhs recorder) You would need one going the other way, or a switchable one IF your cam could handle av in. However, I'm not saying try it as you have clearly stated it doesn't!
    ...but aren't you curious? ;)
    Brum

12. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not exactly sure what a scart is but it's got the white, yellow, and red jack things on one end and what looks like a modified headphones jack on the other. Probably uni-directional. Not going to buy a switchable one b/c chances are since the cam says a/v out, the vid can probably only go out.
    It just seems like if I've got my vcr and cam hooked up through my pc, there should be some software that could take the incoming video from the vcr and output it to the camcorder through the firewire. Just can't figure out how to make them all communicate :confused:

13. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On the cable thing, I take it that you plug the 'headphone' jack into the cam and the red white & yellow phonos into your vcr. That connection is 'normally' AVin on the vcr.
    As for some manner of pass though style software for your PC, I dunno. :thumbsdow Sorry
    A scart is the 2" long connector that has upto 21 pins, roughly rectangular but with one end cut into a circular chamfer. :smashin:

14. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Meant to add, if you're local, I've got one that I wouldn't mind trying, just to satify my own curiosity.

15. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Far from local, as in United States not local. To reiterate(sp) vcr to pc through coaxial cable (and yellow a/v if need be), pc to camcorder through firewire (iLink if familiar with Sony). Sounds like this may be unsolveable problem even though the solution seems like it should be simple. Can't put my/our finger on it :mad:

16. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The solution is actually very simple - you just seem to be trying to make it difficult, capture to PC using a suitable capture programme (microsoft MovieMaker using composite at least (yellow lead) - co-axial usually infers RF connection - not good and will definitely lose quality. then out put to camcorder via firewire - then delete files from PC - job done.

Or if you want to do it without a PC go beg, buy or borrow a digital camcorder with AV-in and connect them direct - job done.

just as a matter of interest why are you recording it to your digital camera anyway - once you have it on your PC why not make a DVD.

17. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kind of wondered when someone was going to ask that obvious question - why on earth record from VHS to miniDV?

Tanstaafl

18. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    My guess at an answer to that would be:

DVD's have a nasty habit of going belly up far too quickly, especially if children are involved. So copy to DV tape and make new DVD's as required. Once all VHS tapes are on DV you can get rid of the outdated VCR to make room for something else such as a standalone DVD recorder.

Mark.

19. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if I were going down that route I'd buy the standalone DVD recorder first - connect it directly to the VCR - transfer from VHS to DVD - then throw away the VCR.

20. chalmer$

chalmer$

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just wanted them in digital format to put on dvd later. Don't have a dvd burner yet. Don't want to make divx, avi, mpeg, etc. becuase inevitably I'll lose quality. Will probably just get a vcr/dvd burner combo to solve the problem. Thanks to everyone for their input.