1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS tapes played back on idtv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dvdud, Nov 4, 2004.

1. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    My first posting on this section of the forum. I'm considering the purchase of a SONY 28" freeview tv (DX51) and wondered what old copied VHS tapes look like when played on a digital tv? I'm also considering transferring my tapes onto DVD so losing even more detail. Is there a noticeable difference in quality or will i be happyish with the purchase/upgrade? Cheersall

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Dvdud,

Welcome to this section of the Forum.

(It's the most interesting section, of course! :laugh: )

The digital processing in modern TV's does the VHS system no favours, as the inherent noise tends to "confuse" it.

Provided that you can turn the processing off, you should be ok, but having got used to DVD's, you'll probably wonder how we ever watched tape!

(Bet we'll be saying that about 625 when HD becomes established.)

3. dvdud

dvdud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TG for the reply and welcome. As my tapes will (eventually) get to be played on other peoples dvd players - once i've transferred them to dvd - and once i get my choices of tv/dvd recorder/dvd player finally narrowed down to one of each :confused: its a bit worrying to know the quality might well be verging on 'CRAP'. Do most new TV's have a way to turn the processing off?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Firstly Vhs has always been crap - no matter what you do it wil look crap on a big screen.

Digital Tuner has no effect, digital processing dunno, SVM could even help.

Just go into it knowing you will not get a good picture. If you can replace any tapes with pre recorded DVDs