1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS Tape Protection - Macrovision?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GASJKH2, Mar 8, 2005.

1. GASJKH2

GASJKH2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I have some old VHS tapes - Jethro etc, which I want to digitally backup onto my Panasonic E85 hard disc recorder.

What leads do I need as I understand some of these VHS tapes contain macrovision protection to stop a backup being made.

Is it possible to backup to E85 DVD Hard Disc Recorder & then burn to DVD- or RAM?

What leads do I need to do this, and where can I buy them from?

Help would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has had success at this?

:clap:

2. CeeGee

CeeGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you read the Announcement at the top of this forum?

"Recently the topic of Macrovision removal has cropped up more frequently. May I remind everyone about the legal issues of copying such protected material if you do not hold permission to do so. From now on please do not link to products that will remove the protection thus enabling copies to be made. Thanks for your co-operation."

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, we can't link to specific sites but cast your eyes down to the four adverts at the bottom of the page.

Don't ask...

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Indeed.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    Many old and not so old vhs tapes do not have macrovision encoding.

6. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Be glad you don't live here in Australia. Unlike the UK, it's a breach of copyright law here, every time we record from live TV, let alone pre-recorded tapes or DVD's, even if it it's just for time-shifting. So the tuners fitted to the VCR's and DVD recorders in our shops are theoretically redundant!

7. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Adverts, what adverts. I don't see no steenking adverts.

(Firefox+Adblock).

But to the point - backing up video material onto DVD for own use is okay in my book. I paid a lot of money for my tape collection and many of them I do not want to see degrade/die. No reason why I should have to buy the same material again just to change the media. Would be happy to do so if they only charged my the price of the media of course. Would box up and ship my tapes and get dvds back in the post as replacements in a shot if it was just media plus postage charges. but it isn't.

Data loss on tape on old old story - the Mariner mission being one of the prime examples. It collected lots and lots of data that was stored on mag tape. some time afterwards someone needed the data and found that the tape reels were solid 'rust' having not been cared for properly.
    Some beancounter thought he would save tape bugdet and not rotate the tapes or house them in a proper environment. Now what was the cost of that space mission ??? AFAIK the name of the miscreant never came out.

What case law/statute is being broken (in the UK) by someone who bought a VHS tape backing it up to a new medium for their own use. It is merely protecting your investment.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Regardless of your moral view on the subject (which many, including I, share) it remains illegal to make a copy of copyrighted material - even for your own private use, even as a backup etc etc. Hence cables intended to defeat Macrovision are taboo. and we are not at liberty to discuss such things.

However, changing the subject entirely, Google is a pretty good search engine.

9. clawson

clawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Especially if you enter the word "sonel"

10. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    a) Well I am looking at them now. They're not pop-ups, yet all advertise Macrovision cables. There may be regional differences as to what gets displayed.

b) I wouldn't admit to that too many times on AV Forums. You will remember that at least one of the administrators has a firm view on this:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191111&page=1&pp=15

c) Notwithstanding that, you appear to have missed the point that on this forum we cannot offer direct advice on how to achieve it.

d) The law of copyright. Ask a lawyer if that isn't clear enough.

11. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I still dont see the ads
    I have not offered any direct advice on how to bypass macrovision.
    Copyright law far from a balck and white issue I think.

There is no general exemption of copyright for fair use in the UK. Instead there are 40 specific exclusions.
    "No general fair use exception exists
    in UK law; instead, there are exceptions allowing ‘fair
    dealing' for the purposes of research or private study,
    criticism or review and news reporting. There are also
    40 or so specific exceptions covering education, library
    and archive use, public administration and other areas."

There is also the EU directive to consider.

The Foundation for information policy research in its 'Response to the Patent Office consultation on implementing the European Union Copyright Directive' said
    "Technical methods of impeding copying have been introduced in order to supplement the rightholders' legal protection with technical protection. Such methods are unlikely to make copying impossible: a work which can be displayed on a screen can be photographed, and a work which can be played through a loudspeaker can be recorded by an audio device. But the need to adopt cumbersome techniques of this kind makes the effective exercise of fair use rights difficult (and for the disabled perhaps impossible), and as a result arrogates to rightholders an unfair proportion of the benefit of the works in question."

They also said:-
    "The use by copyright owners or their licensees of technical devices to prevent infringement of their rights, where it has the effect of impeding the exercise of rights of fair use, and especially where circumvention of those devices is itself rendered unlawful by statute, operates to alter the statutory bargain to the detriment of the public. The law should not allow technical devices to be used to alter the statutory bargain in this way, especially where the devices are themselves statutorily protected. It amounts to an abuse of the statutory scheme of copyright, and the appropriate response is to withdraw from abusers the benefit of the scheme itself. There is legislative precedent for this approach, which is indeed consistent with such equitable maxims of the common law as that he who seeks equity must do equity, and that he who comes to equity must come with clean hands."

All I am suggesting is that transferring the content from one medium onto another for no other purposes than to preserve it. There is no change to content, ownership or accreditation for the material. There is no public broadcast nor any revenue or benefit on the consumers part. A domestic case, not a commercial one.
    Thats sounds equitable to me !
    Then there is the 'fair dealing' stance - 'fair use' is a USA thing..

Then there is the view that when I buy a film I am not paying for the technology, I am paying for the 'Art'. Therfore I should be able to display it on any device I choose.

Ask a lawyer ? no way !!

My bet is that no one has ever been prosecuted in court for transferring a film they bought from its original vhs to dvd for their own archive/use/protection of the asset.

Anyone know different ?

And I repeat - I do not condone or encourage piracy in any form.

Thought exercise - wallpaper design gets copyrighted.you put wallpaper on your walls. you take hi-res digital picture of your new/telly/baby/furniture with wallpaer clearly displayed in the background. You put the pic of your loved one on your website.
    Are you in violation of copyright law.
    Same thought experiment goes for lots of items in that pic....

Copyright is not a 'right' - it is a priviledge.

Then there is the whole 'interoperability' - huge fines handed out to companies that deny this (Microsoft for one).

Gotta stop now, head hurts !!