1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS/SVHS Films Better Than Their DVD Counterparts

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Kevo, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Anybody own any DVDs that their pic quality is so bad that they have kept hold of their original VHS or SVHS copies which are better.

I have a few...

Goodfellas

The pic quality has to be worse than VHS, it's a terrible non-ananorphic transfer. What's more it's a flipper. No excuses for shortage of disk space then!

Great Escape

Another v poor non-ananorphic transfer.

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection

If you aleady have this on VHS, DO NOT buy it on DVD, believe me the quality is so bad it's unwatchable. Even makes ITV Sport look good.

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Had Dune on today. Talk about Lo-res. I got ****ed off and turned it off after 5 minutes. Shame because I really like that film.

3. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Priscilla Queen of the Desert. Picture quality so poor compared to VHS widescreen copy. Also the aspect ratio is not full widescreen unlike the video copy. I think this is corrected on the USA copy. Can anybody vouch for the quality of the R1 version?
    I thought Madonna's The Immaculate Collection DVD seemed to look fine to me. Maybe I will take another look but It couldn't have been as bad as Priscilla.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

IMHO "Priscilla" looked okay on the R2 disc, although you are correct in saying that the ratio has been cropped down to a 1.85:1 ratio, with nothing worthwhile in the way of extras.

As for the Madonna "Immaculate Collection" DVD, I think it looks okay, though I haven't seen the VHS edition, so can't comment on that.

If anyone else can verify the ratio and picture quality/list of extras on the R1 edition of "Priscilla", I too, would be grateful.

Pooch

5. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the VHS of Immaculate Collection and thought the DVD version was cleaner and sharper, much as you would expect with a DVD version. Priscilla R1 is available cheap from a certain mail order company at the moment. Can anyone do a comparison?

6. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    'The Great Escape' will be released as a special edition on R2/4 in a few months.It will have a remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer,with a lot of extras.

7. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the first release of The Shawshank Redemption which is a bit naff. There's not really anything wrong with the pic quality, but it's only P&S and stereo, whereas my VHS is widescreen surround.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Another one I found recently....

Aliens (R1)

This is by far the worst quality DVD I have. VERY BLOCKY!
    It even makes ITV Sport look good!