VHS Refresh dubbing on Panasonic DMR-EX95?

Guy of Gisbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if an owner of this Panasonic machine could pass comment on how good the VHS refresh dubbing feature is? How do you you select/ disable this feature?? I have downloaded the instructions but could not find any reference to it.
Do you consider the feature worthwhile, and does it make a difference to poorer quality recordings??

I have a large number of tapes that require archiving to disc (no copyright issues) and this machine looks an attractive option.

My other option is to use my old Panasonic NV-HS1000 which is a nice machine and my existing 160GB Panasonic (forget exact name!) recorder. However, I have to fight with the rest of the family for access and a seperate machine set up next to my computer upstairs for viewing and editing would be a better option.

Thanks in advance,

the colonel

I know only the/my Panasonic DMR-ES35V has indeed this function, my guess is your recorder should have minimal a dvd-recorder (not player) and a component video output, this VHS refresh is always "on" doesn't have to be switched on, over component progressive mode is possible, both s-video and composite also should have a rocksteady signal, if so.
The EX95 manual indeed gives no clues, only that 4:3 from dvd will be stretched to the 16:9 format,
further the manual looks very much like the ES35V manual about the settings, do you already have this machine and tried ? some modes dont work together, HDMI must be un-used/switched off, and video with component should be switched on, (so not with RGB switched on

Last edited:
But never been answered, could help other people, i never knew this feature was called "VHS refresh" by Panasonic, it's a great feature, but not for people who want to sell their TBC's :)
at prices like $1000

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom