1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS (NTSC) to DVD problems...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by haffy, Sep 11, 2004.

1. haffy

haffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to copy VHS NTSC to DVD. Have two VHS machines - Panasonic and JVC that both playback NTSC. On screen picture from Panasonic had lots of noise at bottom of screen (tracking could not improve) but JVC picture great. Hooked up to my Sony GX3 dvd recorder but when I payed back the resulting DVD the sounsd was fine but the picture rolled continually - needed vertical lock...... TV is Sony.
    Is there anything that I can do or is there a signal output problem?
    My VHS deck does some form of conversion to playback NTSC so maybe this is the problem?
    Any help/solutions most appreciated.
    Haffy

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vcr will change NTSC to PAL 60.Most dvdr will record NTSC but not PAL 60.Philips and Pioneer both record PAL 60 and NTSC

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    see this thread for more info http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144769

Your VHS is not outputting proper PAL, but a modified version of NTSC which some TVs (obviously yours) is capable of displaying. You need a DVD recorder which is capable of recording (not just playing back) NTSC to be able to do what you want. The Panasonic E85 does it, but I think most dont and I guess your Sony doesnt so you are out of luck basically. You can buy convertors but they dont apparently work very well, so if you really need it done you need to either get an NTSC recording DVD machine or get a pro-lab to copy or convert it for you. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear...

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic dvd recorders will not record PAL 60

5. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    The Pioneer 5100 will record in PAL or NTSC.
    If you want to do a standards convertion the Comworld Digital Video Converter KDV500 does a good job, PAL <-> NTSC, using "S" or composite signals.

6. haffy

haffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. Seems like bad news with Sony DVD unable to record PAL 60. Is there, perhaps, any software I could use with my pc that would convert the dvd created by my Sony DVd recorder into a viewable format?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I doubt it as the problem is that the Sony can't record the PAL60 output from your VCR.
    You could capture the footage directly to the PC with a capture card, something like Packard Bell PCI-TV100 that can be bought from PC World for £24.99
    If you have a DVD burner in the PC then try burning it as PAL60 and see if that plays ok. If not then you will need some software such as Canopus Pro Coder lite that costs about £50 and will convert just about anything to anything else including PAL <> NTSC.

Mark.

8. haffy

haffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thnaks for this suggestion.
    I do have a DVD burner in my PC.. When I play back on PC I get same problem as on TV. Are you proposing I burn DVD created on Sony as PAL 60 to then playback to TV via Sony?
    How would I do this with Nero say?

9. patroller2

patroller2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two vcr's that output both pal 50/60 and NTSC but have found that the vcr's one Sony and the other Toshiba output NTSC 442 (Japan) and the pannys only accept NTSC 358 (American) so if you are looking to backup NTSC programs make sure your VHS player outputs NTSC 358 not 443 when using Panasonic recorders.