1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS - DVcam - PC for editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PAA, Sep 9, 2004.

1. PAA

PAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do all DVcams (mini) allow you to move VHS recordings directly into your PC without needing to record on the DVcam, then play back through firewire to the PC.

I know you can buy boxes that do this, but a DVcam should be able to do this, but can it do it without the record phase?

What is this feature called?
    Which brand/model offers these features?

Thanks!

Paul

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you will need a cam with analogue inputs, some allow pass-through conversion, some don't (i.e you have to record to dv tape first then transfer it on) most canons let you convert live (look for models with the 'i' suffix).

3. PAA

PAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy,

It appears as though most new dvcams offer this feature, most don't make it obvious, the term pass-through conversion has cracked it and got the question answered.

Now I can shop on picture quality, ease of use etc. Have you any opinions, or can you reccomend any publications that review well? I am after a simple camcorder with a good lens with moderate optical zoom, firewire and analog on a minidv for around the $1000 Australian dollars (450 pounds?).

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    All the Sonys I have allow me to transcode, most of the domestic range will (provided it has analogue in and DV-In/Out

5. PAA

PAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting the feeling that the Sony HC-30 is the one for me.