1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS & Copyright

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by nokiauk, Mar 6, 2005.

1. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have an old BBC VHS video program from the 90's which I would like to convert to DVD.

I had planned to use my Canon camcorder to convert the analogue to digital on my Mac then write to DVD my problem is the camcorder registers the video as copyrighted and won't allow me to convert.

Is there anyway around this? After all I am only backing up a copy of a video I have already bought and own.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any copying of any tape or disc containing material which you personnally did not create is copyright theft and you may be prosecuted for it (if found out) - the only exception is that some software manufacturers do allow you to make a copy as a backup but this does not apply to videos and music - even if you purchased the tape/disc originally with your hard earned cash you do not buy the right to copy it even for your own use.

There are ways around it - but their all illegal - perhaps someone may come along and help you break the law - but not me.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Making copies is illegal and can't be discussed here.

However, a similar problem occurs when people need to connect DVD players to the RF Converter in a VCR so it can be used with an old TV without any AV connections. The brand name for the signal that prevents this, is called Macrovision. There are firms that market cables which alleviate this RF problem. And the best search engine is Google.

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Why is it called copyright if it doesn't give you the right to copy?

5. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    to be honest i was "only asking". this programme is ove 6 years old and is not available on DVD. as I no longer have a VHS machine only thing I could think off was to back it up to DVD.

6. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

You should expect the police to smash down your door any day now.
    Seriously though, if you own the original you have every right to make a backup copy. The tape won't last forever so you should get a free replacement when the tape wears out.

Anyway, try playing the VHS on a deck with a TBC (time base corrector), it may clean up the picture for you.

I often lift footage from VHS to put into programmes.

Duncan.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    That just is NOT true of video and music etc. It may be true of computer software.