vhs-c to vhs adapter problem.

angus1024

Novice Member
I have a mechanical problem with a vhs_c --> vhs adaptor - do other people have such problems please?. Mine seemed to have deformed. Better solution ?

I bought a new VHS-c Cassette converter (from ebay) which holds a small vhs-c tape and makes it look like a full size vhs tape. I used it with a vhs player -> converter_> USB ->pc. My 20+ vhs-c tapes needed be rewound before I read data from them.

It worked with a few tapes. The 5th tape seemed to have data on it when I rewound it (the adapter got rejected from the vhs player a few times) - then it played the tape correctly for maybe 10 mins, then I got a black screen. I rewound it and black screen.

I took the adapter out of the vhs player, it felt unusually warm (heatwave this summer Aug/2020) - slightly difficult to get the tape out . Then the lid did not close - so presumably the plastic material had deformed. Note the bottom of the adopter is steel whereas the VHS tape cassettes are plastic (no metal bottom).

Did anyone else have such problems - is there a solution?.
thanks
angus

relevant threads

angus1024

Novice Member
Some of them use a battery, if yours does and you didn't realise it, it may be flat.
Thanks Emerton,
It is a new adapter (came in manufacturers packaging - unopened - from ebay) and I had put in a new battery. After I had removed the vhsC I could not close the lid . After I made the post in this forum I gave it to the expertInGeneral (my wife) who managed to close it - open it and it got stuck open again. Now it closes OK. But the tapes have valuable family history and I am loath to trust them to the adapter.
thanks
angus

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The adapter will not open or close if the lacing cycle - where it extracts the tape from the VHS-C cassette and presents it ready for the full sized player is not complete.

If the battery is not good - or the connection is a little corroded, the cycle also might not complete. As these will be new old stock that's been sitting around for some years (They haven't been made for about 10 years) the grease in the adapter may have gone a bit hard.

Treat the adapter quite gently and never force them, as this will bend the actuating arms and prevent the mechanism functioning correctly.

angus1024

Novice Member
Thank you very much indeed - I didn't think of that. Do you think I should take my adapter to bits and somehow re-grease it ?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Probably just run if through the cycle a few times.

Check the tape in the VHS-C cassettes is wound tightly onto the spools.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom