1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS-C cam and capture using WinTV to PC!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by aspick, May 7, 2002.

1. aspick

Jun 11, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Blackwood Gwent
    I currently have an old Panasonic VHS-C camcorder (stereo) and am trying to archive my old tapes/material via my PC to VCD or SVCD. I am only using a Hauppauge WinTV card to do this currently (!)
    I have been reading and trying out the guides and software off the excellent vcdhelp site.
    I can capture (using virtualdub) quite reasonably into my PC pictures but I get no sound. I have phonos for video and two for left/right stereo coming out of my camcorder and into the appropriate same 'in' sockets on my wintv card. I know sound is coming into the PC because when I capture 'live' footage I do get sound from the camcorders microphone. However, when I switch to vcr mode on the camcorder and play back a recorded vhs-c tape I get no sound via the same setup. (in fact I still seem to get the sound picked up from the camera's microphone again!)

Does anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Is there perhaps some kind of 'switch' on the camera (not obvious from what I can although I have lost the manual!)

I am trying this out as a precursor to buying a mini dv camcorder (was thinking about the Panasonic DS-38B with its analogue in)

Andrew Pick