VHF or UHF for feed into AV Receiver

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by k.jacko, Mar 3, 2013.

1. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this in the right forum, but it is kind of freeview related.
    I had a digital aerial installed last year, put a loft box in which splits 6 ways to feed our rooms with freeview. The loft box has a UHF and VHF port. Currently the aerial is connected to the UHF port and freeview is fine.
    I now want to put a radio feed into the back of my onkyo r380 AVR which has an aerial port saying FM75 ohms.
    So, can I do this from the loft box? If so, do I use UHF or VHF.
    I really don't know the diff.

All advice greatly appreciated.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    From what you describe you do not mention a VHF(FM) aerial of any kind. The UHF aerial you have may do the trick if you are in a good reception area otherwise you need a separate aerial for good radio reception.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    If you are seeking to do this properly you would need to connect a FM aerial at the top end which would have the effect of diplexing the VHF and UHF on the same downlead.

At the bottom end you would require a diplexer plate, such as this for example, to separate out the signals.

4. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :rolleyes: Lol, err.....you know, there's not one bit of that quote that i don't need explaining. :suicide:

I have this wallplate Grid Module- TV/FM/SAT/SAT
    I was hoping to use Sky's shotgun cable to the 2 x Sat outlets, but my octo LNB is full so i may just use one of the sat outlets as the RF2 feed from another sky box. Is this possible?
    I want to utilise the TV and RADIO sockets, but this is where i need help i guess.
    ?

When i connected the aerial lead to the VHF port of the loftbox, none of the TV's in the house could receive freeview channels. When i put it into the UHF port, all worked fine. So for that reason, i'm guessing i have a UHF aerial.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'properly' Gavtech. All i want is the ability to play radio through my Onkyo AVR without having to select a freeview radio channel from the tv, if you know what i mean.

My Denon 2113 is a smart AVR so i can use internet radio with that one.

Thanks

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Well you've thoroughly confused me because there was no mention of satellite being involved here.
    I am not sure what you mean by the above and it probably is not relevant to your problem
    OK - to try to explain further -

FM Radio is received on a different waveband to Freeview.
    Freeview is on UHF, FM Radio is on VHF.

Each requires a different sort of aerial. Evidently you do not currently have an FM aerial.
    If you did, then the VHF aerial would plug into the VHF input in your loft box.

The result of this is that both the UHF and VHF signals would be 'diplexed' onto your current existing downlead(S) and would be available at each outlet - provided they have suitable diplexer plates to separate out the VHF and UHF.

So - IF you had a VHF aerial connected at the top end ( as well as your UHF freeview aerial) you would just require a flylead to connect from the FM outlet on the diplexer plate to your receiver.

Much will depend on where you live and the strength of reception in your locality ... but quite often FM can be picked up by connecting almost anything to the FM input... so if you are not in a position to easily install an FM aerial then you could experiment with cheap internal aerials such as this for example.

6. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    No you didn't. There is no such thing as a digital aerial. I guess you had a UHF aerial installed.

For radio you need a VHF aerial installed and connected to the VHF input of the loft box. Depending whether you want DAB or FM (or both) you will need to get the right type of VHF aerial (but it won't be a digital aerial).

7. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks again fellas.

So if i did get a VHF aerial and connected it into the VHF connection on the loftbox, it's down to the diplexors on the faceplates to determine what kind of connection it is, VHF or UHF, seeing as both connections on the loft box will be used?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,766
    I'm not in a particularly good reception area and mine does just that.
    The terrestrial aerial feeds a four way amplifier/distributor.
    That feeds three TVs for FV and the Onkyo receiver's tuner for FM radio.
    Like Gavtech I don't know how satellite came into this - so let us know!

9. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry for the confusion fellas,
    i simply mentioned the sky because of the wallplate i had bought has 2 sky (SAT) feeds on it as well as the TV and FM feeds. As you rightly summised the Sky isn't part of the issue at all.

I think i'm just short of enough coax to reach the onkyo from the loftbox, but i can find a way around that to test it.

I'll update this when i've tried it out. :)

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Wait.

You do not need to reach the onkyo from the loftbox... if I understand your setup correctly.

I presume you already have a downlead installed to the area of the onkyo? You mentioned having a 6 way split to feed Freeview around the house so I am supposing that the structural wiring for that is already in place.

The point of multiplexing is that everything goes onto the one lead - which if it already exists means all you need to do is connect an aerial to the VHF input in the loftbox at the top end... At the bottm end all you need to connect is a lead from the onkyo to the radio connector on the diplexer plate.

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread so can you clarify just exactly what you have got in terms of existing wiring... because on the face of it you seem to be looking to add things you do not require.

11. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gavtech,
    ok, its a new conservatory, so apart form power and lighting there are no other cables/feeds coming in.
    I bought that wallplate i linked to in the op to highlight that i wanted to either feed sky+HD into the room (from the dish), or utilise the RF2 output from the sky box in the next room (if that's indeed possible with that wallplate).
    all the above is not really pertaining to my OP really, except to say that in June our Sky subcription ends and we may revert back to freeview. Hence the issue.
    So, currently i don't have the ability to watch tv or listen to radio in this room, be it sky or freeview.
    I can get a feed from the loftbox (UHF connected) down to the wallplate, then a fly lead from that to the onkyo.

So,as of right now, i was assuming that this feed would terminate into the TV socket on the wallplate and then a flylead would go from there into the back of my tv.
    Then to play radio purely from the onkyo and NOT the TV (via freeview channel), i would install a VHF aerial, connect that to the loftbox as well and run another feed down to the room to terminate in the back of the RADIO socket, then a flylead from that to the onkyo FM port.

But, are you saying that only one feed is needed from the loftbox, as it is a single termination in the back of the wallplate that then splits for the TV and RADIO sockets?

Lol, any of this making sense now? Or am i still in cloud cuckoo land? :rolleyes:

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Much more sense now - yes thanks.

You only need one coax feed down to the Conservatory from the loftbox to deliver Freeview TV and FM Radio ( once you have an VHF/FM aerial connected to the loftbox at the top end)

This one coax would also feed RF derived sky - IF you have an output from a skybox feeding an RF output back up into the loftbox.

One important proviso. It was not clear to me regarding the type of plate outlet you have.
    There are multi-socket plates which are purely socket outlets.
    These are not to be confused with multiplexing plates which will also contain some passive electronics to do the signal separating.
    You need to be sure you have the proper type.

Also -
    If you were wanting to use a sky HD box in this location, you would need to provide proper direct feeds from the dish.

13. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  14. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    That seems OK to me.

15. k.jacko

k.jacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,
    right, i managed to get a spare feed from the box in the loft, which actually IS NOT a loft box its a distribution amp, which is different (i've since been educated i think)
    It plugged it directly into the Onkyo and yes i can get radio on it now. So that's cleared that up.

So, next step; terminate the cable in the back of the module i've got, then i should be able to put a flylead from the TV port to the arial of the TV and a flylead from the RADIO port into the Onkyo (?)

BTW, when i put the cable into the TV it picked up freeview channels but they were really choppy. I'm putitng this down to my dodgy terminated as i only loosely attached the coax connector.

16. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,174
    You only need two cables (plus one back to distribute rf signals if required).

One carries Sat2, UHF TV and VHF Radio, the other Sat 1. You need a suitable box in the loft.

From link

Triax TV-FM/DAB-Sat1-Sat2 insert

Use with twin tuner satellite PVR receivers such as Freesat+ and SKY+/HD.

Two cable input at rear:

One coaxial cable supplies the Sat 1 signals only, the other cable supplies the Sat 2 + Radio (DAB/FM) + TV signals.

eg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=l...-Sky-Freesat-Freeview-%2F270532825061;938;975

Or alternative

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/loftbox4.htm

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013