1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vga

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thekingbeyond, Oct 20, 2005.

1. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I have a Sony KF50SX300 lcd rear projection tv with a vga socket on it, when I connect a pc or my laptop there is a black 1 inch border around the desktop. No matter what settings I use including power strip the border can`t be removed.
    I contacted sony and was told that a pc underscans by around 10 % so thats why I get the border, is this true about a pc vga output
    Bought a keen syncblaster scart to vga cable and tried that through vga but i don`t get a picture at all any ideas why not?
    Would a scaler allow me to stretch the image to fit the screen and would it be possible to connect my dvd player, xbox and sky hd through the scaler via component, and are there any cheap possibly second hand scalers that would do this if so?

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Do we take it that TV and DVD fill the screen properly, then?
    There can't be that many people who have a KF50SX300 being driven by a PC, so Sony may not have given it much consideration. The problem sounds like the sort of thing that would only be corrected with the displays own H & V sizing controls, but I'm sure you would have thought of that already.

A scaler would be "seen" as a PC input by the TV, so that may not help you much, unless you can do some clever things with the front and back porches. Not for beginers, though.

BTW, what's the native resolution of that TV -they're a conspicuously good price these days!

Nick

3. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Thanks for reply,yes tv, dvd and sky all fill the screen. The native resolution of this TV is 1366x768, problem is that the h&v overscan controls in the service menu are global and not input assigned, so if i increase the size of the image to make the pc fit then i loose picture on all the other inputs.