vga vs component PHD8 only thread

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by golden phoenix, Dec 18, 2006.

1. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Hello all,

i know the age old debate of which one is better VGA or component has been debated many times here, but my question is more specific.

I would like any info whatsoever before i make my purchase on whether the VGA or component provides the best picture on my panny PHD8. it is an uncalibrated (a sin i know) panel.

so anyone out there who has the same screen as me and a xbox 360 your input would be valued in making my mind up as to which way to go. if you have compared them directly, this would be even better. (just trying to save time in completeing the experiment myself.

im assuming that the vga picture will be very good as the resolution can be set to 1024 x 768 which is my resolution output. (im assuming this then makes the 1:1 pixel mapping which everybody tells me is so important.

i also keep reading about washed out colours (can this be corrected if this is the case. (is this on all sets or just some?)

if you could give me as much details as pos i would be grateful (ie contrast, colour sharpnest etc)

i believe it upscales regular dvds as well. (not sure about this stuff only what i read).

and last question can the xbox 360 be made to be multi region? and links would be appreciated for info as im fed up waiting for wii wii.:clap:

2. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Well I have the same screen and i have tried VGA and I have settled on component for me its the best connection, VGA seams a little bit softer and less vibrant so its component all the way for me

hope this helps

3. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    thanks.....anyone else?

4. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    what about those benefits on vga 1:1 pixel mapping, upscaling dvds, no black borders? surely these are good points Mwallen?

5. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not sure what you mean about the black borders (this is aspect ratio and wont be affected).

Ive got a px60 so same ballpark but not the same, unfortunately I cant compare the vga as it doesnt work for some reason, I must have broke the lead when I changed over tvs. I was interested to see what the upscaling was like.

Like you say 1:1 pixel mapping should give you the best picture, but colour reproduciton is important too. I tried the vga on my old tv (before the update) and it was a good pic but a bit washed out, havent tried it since the big update so might be resolved now, I know they did address the colour issue. Im component for now though

6. Wuss

Wuss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a 37px600 with a Panny Home Cinema System. I am making use of the component connection already to receive 576p from the DVD, so I had to purchase the official XBox360 VGA cable. I spent an entire weekend comparing the two and in my opinion the difference between the two connection types is greater on an LCD than on a plasma. On my screen in particular, the component connection provides slightly deeper colours with blacks being marginally better (in Project Gotham Racing 3, choose a black F430, racing at night, on the Westminster Tour and you will see the difference, even on a plasma). However, the improvement does not justify rushing out and buying new hardware.

If I was to put a figure on it, I would say the VGA connector is 95-97% as good as the component, ON MY SCREEN. If your component inputs are available then I would use them and set the XBox360 output to 720p. If your component inputs are being used, don't lose any sleep over having to use the VGA connection on any Panasonic plasma.

Let me know if you need any specific information...

Mark.

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    hehe..I have a 50" Fuji which uses the same glass as your panny :) ;) I tried both VGA and component and couldn't see a difference. I guess in theory VGA should be better as that would do 1:1 but I'm not sure you're going to spot much difference when playing a game...I think your decision should be more around if you use VGA does that mean you have a component free for something else....not many things have VGA output so might be worth using it for that reason :D

8. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    same here:thumbsup:

9. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    thanks for the other replies, i have recently bought a new component board, and also have vga available to me, just dont want to buy 2 leads to see the differences.

all i need to do is wait a little bit longer for any sales on boxing day and i will be up and running....thanks guys!

some good points made here, which i never thought of...thanks!

10. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    For me component is the best input for the 360 I dont use it as a dvd player presently as im using the 360 as a media solution and I have a HD dvd player on order.

but the colour does look washed out and even if its 1.1 i prefer component. you can pick up a second hand one on ebay and if you dont like it you can make your money back

11. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    im only just getting back into gaming and since ive spent so much on my av equipment i might as well get the most out of it...is there black borders top and bottom when playing games through component...say for example gears of war etc... so if the xbox is set to output either 720p or 1080i like on dvds im assuming there would be if the game is in widescreen?....im also assuming that with vga that wouldnt happen....id rather play games without black borders which i hate if pos!

12. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I dont get any black borders when playing games on 360. When playing games i have it set to 720p and when streaming hi def through the 360 I set it to its native res. ie I downloaded the new series of lost which was in 720p and i had no black borders.

13. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Well, this thread has saved me the hassle of asking the same question, since I also have a PHD8 and am about to enter the world of 360!

I have VGA and component cables burried in the wall to my PHD8. Presumably in order to use my existing cables (without having to channel new cables) I would either need some of these phono coverters for Component or one of these for VGA?

It seems from this discussion like component is the slight preference for gaming. What about DVD playback? Is anyone with a PHD8 using their 360 as a DVD player?

Am I right that it will only upscale SD DVDs via VGA? If so, is this a good enough reason to connect via VGA instead of component? Is the 360 any good as a DVD player either upscaling or at 576p?

Technically speaking, I'd rather connect via component for gaming and DVDs. My current DVD player connects via component and it's be far simpler to simply replace this with the 360 and use these connections. Going via VGA would require me to either find a VGA switching unit or find a different way of connecting my Humax Freeview box (it currently connects from scart to a JS Tech RGB-> VGA converter and then via VGA). However, if there is a lot to be gained from using VGA for the 360, I might be persuaded!

Thanks in advance for any responses

14. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,129
    Hello,

I have a 50" PHD8 and i run my xbox via Component @ 720p.

I have never used my xbox as a dvd player but i was intrested in using it to upscale my sd dvd's for viewing over VGA but in the end i never tried it as from what i read on various forums including this one was that VGA is not great with the xbox360 and the PHD8 and Component is better.

Personally, i couldn't justify spending £60+ on a VGA lead just to see for myself when everyone who had tried it with the same panel were reporting the same results.

As i said, i would love to use VGA for the upscaling facility alone but i won't compromise my PQ.

Tony

15. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    Have a look here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438347&page=3

I posted some comparison pictures and even tried a new VGA cable to increase detail and sharpness but could not match component which is the winner for the PHD8.

For upscaling i could not see any major differences to xbox scaling (VGA) or the PHD8 scaling (component).

16. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've tried both and I think I'm about the only person by the looks of it that prefers VGA, my reason for this is, I think you become a custom to seeing colours through the component cable which I feel makes them look overblown and not a true representation of the original material and thats why most people say VGA is washed out. I agree its washed out a little but you can correct most of this and not overblow the colours with some calibration.

My other reason is that VGA enables 1080p for use mainly with the HD-DVD player, I wouldn't say theres a massive difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p but theres still a little improvement.

I've read quite a few of these threads asking the same and similar questions and they all tend to say VGA is sharper and component makes the colours look better, so I guess you wouldn't go wrong using either ;)