1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA vs. BNC

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loonatic, Jun 8, 2004.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am looking to get a new scaler as I have just sold my iScan Ultra.

Looking at either the LumagenHDP Pro or the Crystalio...most likely the former.

Anyway...both have BNC RGBHV analogue outputs.

So I can either get myself a 15pin VGA to 5 BNC lead and use the VGA input built-in to the panny or purchase the optional BNC input board for the panny and use a 5 BNC to 5 BNC lead.

My question is...which is best ?

I am sure that the BNC route IS best due to better connections and the ability to use better, thicker, cable.

But would you say it's worth the extra cost/hassle ?

Cheers, Lee

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Unless you plan to use the VGA input later for a PC or similar, I would say why buy a new board when you have a free input?

Put the money towards a decent VGA=>5BNC cable (like a BetterCables one from Joe maybe?) to get the absolute best out of the scaler...

JJ

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    technically BNC is better..... but there are plenty of exceptionally picky people who use the VGA and have not complained within my hearing

ad

4. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I was using a Bettercables SS VGA cable from my Vision to my Panny 50" but now that I'm upgrading to the ProHDP with its BNC outputs it seems daft to use the VGA connection on the plasma for the sake of saving ~80quid, when I could be using the best possible connection for the job...
    So I got myself a secondhand TM-42TM6Y input board and some belden RGBHV cables, it may not make a big difference, but at least I know I've done what I can to ge the best out of ~£7000 worth of equipment for an outlay of only ~£140.

Ryan :cool:

5. jrecampbell

jrecampbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question - can you then attach, using an adaptor, the VGA end of this cable to a DVI-I input? I'm trying to research a way of getting a component signal into the new Philips 32PF9986 which has (I believe) a DVI-I input but no component input. Would this do it for me?

I suppose then there's all the issues with i and p input signals, but one step at a time...

6. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think that would work as DVI is RGB only and so probably wont support component video, you should check your manual and see if it mentions an option of what signal it is expecting on the DVI connection..

Ryan

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is that so? You learn something new every day! I had always thought that the analogue part of dvi was able to directly replace vga. That actually means that without having the component output boards on something like your lumagen, then you cant output component since the only other connector is dvi-I

ad

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You could make the connection but the LCD may still not understand the signal it is recieving. DVI-I should accept DVI or RGBHV so there is no gaurantee it will take a component video signal in, and it is not very likely either.

If you really must there are Component - VGA converters available (e.g. Audio Authority) but even still your monitor must accept the equivalent resolution of the component video signal (progressive scan only), but as an RGB format signal.

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That's exactly my thoughts...but someone got there before me :devil:

I'll just have to wait and see if another crops up.

What happened to your post on my wanted thread ? it's vanished :eek:

Have you done any testing on the DVI input yet and the infamous judder test ?

Cheers, Lee

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tell me about it, there seem to be a number of posts disapearing lately... :rolleyes: :confused:

I will hopefully be getting the DVI board this morning in the next hour, or whenever the postman decides to turn up... But I wont get a chance to test it for a few days, but rest assured I'll be posting all my findings after some extensive testing. :smashin:

Good luck with your search, I'm sure some more wil turn up soon...

Ryan

11. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Physically DVI can accept and ouput component but it is specified to only accept and output RGB at 4:4:4 8bit, so its more than likely this is all it will be capable of on equipment such as consumer plasmas, lcds an dvd players.
    The DVI input and output on more high end equipment such as scalers, like the new Lumagen's, can be made to accept and output RGB 4:4:4 8bit, Component 4:2:2 12bit and Component 4:4:4 8bit, and therefore making them compatible with HDMI equipment, (they fool the HDMI receiver or transmitter into thinking its a HDMI device).

Ryan