1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA versus DVI-D Hitachi 42PD5000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wax, Oct 29, 2004.

1. wax

wax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just bought a 42PD5000 and am interested in what people think about the VGA and DVI ports. I want to hook up a PC to use the screen for surfing the web so the text has to be crystal clear. I want to use 1024x768.

I have experimented with S-video and composite which are both fairly poor.

How usuable is the VGA solution - will it give results as good as a normal monitor? How much better will the DVI port be?

Can you advise before I comit to buying leads and maybe a graphics card with a DVI-D port?

Thanks in advance

Neil

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    There should not be much difference, so if it involves money and hassle, I'd try the VGA 1st. XGA is what they are designed to run at, but this is not native panel resolution, so expect a certain amount of scaling artefacts. It will be dramatically better than s-video or composite from a PC, which is usually poor. I'd expect a small improvement in PQ via DVI, but there is a very restricted set of refresh rates usable. VGA will very likely be fine, it's not the finest screen for PC use, but then it was probably a grand cheaper than the best one, so not to worry!

3. wax

wax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised that DVI will not offer much over VGA. Much is made of DVI-D being a pure digital means of transferring the signal while VGA is clearly analogue. I had picked up on the limited refresh rates available through DVI but 1024x768 is support (it's the maximum actually).

I just want to use the split screen function to surf the net while watching footie! Greedy or what?

Thanks for your help .... I'll report back once I've tried both .... I'm going to try and borrow the DVI equipment as a test.

Neil