VGA v HDMI

Breers33

Established Member
Reaction score
high, i have my TV wall mounted and all my cables are now behind a false wall, i have bought a media centre PC and it is curently connected through a VGA cable as i already had this connected behind the wall??.... is VGA picture wise as good as HDMI can VGA handle HD 1080p ok?... is there such a cable that goes from VGA in my PC to HDMI at the other end for my TV?... im not bothered about sound through this cable...
thanks..

high, i have my TV wall mounted and all my cables are now behind a false wall, i have bought a media centre PC and it is curently connected through a VGA cable as i already had this connected behind the wall??.... is VGA picture wise as good as HDMI can VGA handle HD 1080p ok?... is there such a cable that goes from VGA in my PC to HDMI at the other end for my TV?... im not bothered about sound through this cable...
thanks..

I think Vga can only do 720p or 1080i.

That said if you are only using these resolutions you wouldnt notice a difference between it and hdmi,its very marginal.

Ideally you would want hdmi but its not the end of the world if cant and have to use vga.

I think Vga can only do 720p or 1080i.

Given that VGA supported up to at least 2304 x 1440@80hz on CRTs the lowly 1920x1080@60hz on HDTV sets shouldn't cause any problem with data rates, but I don't know if there are any timing or other issues. (and of course your TV has to be able to recieve that resolution through vga itself).

How long is your current VGA cable?

Your TV has a resolution of 1024x768 (or similar) - so with a PC you'd want to output the same resolution anyway. Even if it will accept 1080p this will involve scaling to the lower resolution which will not give as clean an image.

thanks..

VGA will give a superb picture and can easily handle 1080p.

As for a cable that goes from VGA to HDMI, it doesn't exist. You're going from an analogue signal (VGA) to digital (HDMI), this requires a transcoding device which is expensive and will result in quality loss. I'd advise you stick to VGA.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom