VGA v HDMI

Breers33

high, i have my TV wall mounted and all my cables are now behind a false wall, i have bought a media centre PC and it is curently connected through a VGA cable as i already had this connected behind the wall??.... is VGA picture wise as good as HDMI can VGA handle HD 1080p ok?... is there such a cable that goes from VGA in my PC to HDMI at the other end for my TV?... im not bothered about sound through this cable...
thanks..

velvitjester

high, i have my TV wall mounted and all my cables are now behind a false wall, i have bought a media centre PC and it is curently connected through a VGA cable as i already had this connected behind the wall??.... is VGA picture wise as good as HDMI can VGA handle HD 1080p ok?... is there such a cable that goes from VGA in my PC to HDMI at the other end for my TV?... im not bothered about sound through this cable...
thanks..
I think Vga can only do 720p or 1080i.

That said if you are only using these resolutions you wouldnt notice a difference between it and hdmi,its very marginal.

Ideally you would want hdmi but its not the end of the world if cant and have to use vga.

Jet_Set_Jim

Novice Member
Your TV has a resolution of 1024x768 (or similar) - so with a PC you'd want to output the same resolution anyway. Even if it will accept 1080p this will involve scaling to the lower resolution which will not give as clean an image.

N

nburg01

thanks..
VGA will give a superb picture and can easily handle 1080p.

As for a cable that goes from VGA to HDMI, it doesn't exist. You're going from an analogue signal (VGA) to digital (HDMI), this requires a transcoding device which is expensive and will result in quality loss. I'd advise you stick to VGA.