vga upscaling question.

Sly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i understand that the 360 can upscale dvds over a vga lead,if this is the case would it produce a better picture through my z4 projector with pal dvds than my pioneer 575 dvd player?
ta.

Only one way to find out and that's to try it.

I use the 360 via vga to play my dvd's and I'm very happy with it but I used to use a sony all in one via scart so it may just be that the sony was crap and the 360 is adequate.

So yeah, try it and judge for yourself, just because it's upscaled doesn't mean it will be better.:smashin:

Its not upscaled through vga it just plays in progressive scan (same applies to component) so it should give a better picture than your dvd player if that doesnt support progressive scan.

wattso said:
Its not upscaled through vga it just plays in progressive scan (same applies to component) so it should give a better picture than your dvd player if that doesnt support progressive scan.

It does upscale when using a VGA cable.

Indeed it does upscale.

The dash update from earlier this year gave us that wonderous feature, it used to be that via VGA DVDs were played back at 640x480, now its simply scaled to whatever resolution you set in the dash settings :D

Indeed it is upscaled, but for some reason I find component still looks better at 576p anyway. VGA's blacks are not as good for movie watching, ut I play games the majority of the time and VGA is better for games.

the reason i ask is i heard the scaler on the z4 wasnt brilliant,so getting my xbox to upscale may give a better result for pal dvds (shame its not multiregion).
think i will pop into game today and pick up one of their ownbrand ones to try,that way if i cant see a differance i can take it back!

thanks for the replys everyone!:)

I'm very impressed with the dvd playback over VGA I have to admit, beats the playback from my SCHT855 by quite a margin. Looks very clean and sharp, couldn't hear the 360 while it was playing a dvd either which was nice!

I am using the monster vga and the picture is not as nice as the one from the denon 1902 via hdmi but I didnt play with setting very long.... and it is PERSONAL try and see which one you like best. Ebay or trading forum is there for that :) buy both and see

I was godsmacked as to how good the VGA upscale is, I just wish I could do the same for my region 1 and 3 discs as well :(

do you have to do something other than changing the resolution on the dash board?
have done that but the picture just looks darker than component,not better than my pioneer at all.
am i doing something wrong?

After reading this thread I put a DVD in my 360, it is running to my plasma via the VGA cable.

It looks great when playing games or downloaded trailers in HD at 1024 x 786 but the DVD playback is squashed up in to 4:3 format.

This makes it useless as a DVD player through VGA.

zombie_donkey said:
After reading this thread I put a DVD in my 360, it is running to my plasma via the VGA cable.

It looks great when playing games or downloaded trailers in HD at 1024 x 786 but the DVD playback is squashed up in to 4:3 format.

This makes it useless as a DVD player through VGA.

Mine plays fine in the correct aspect ratio, maybe a setting on the 360 or your screen needs changing.

1280 x 720p. I'm watching a DVD as we speak and it looks great.

Daerve said:
1280 x 720p. I'm watching a DVD as we speak and it looks great.

Nope Tv says out of range And now I cant se a thing on the Xbox and have had to go back to composite.

How do I reset th VGA resolution so I can see it again?

What a pickle. I assume the DVD playback will not be upscaled through the Composite cable? My Sony DVD player uses that, although it does go wacky every now and then on progressive scan.

Fekkin technology, I'm buying a black and white portable and selling all my expensive junk. And when they turn off analogue TV I will sit in the woods, staring at a campfire.

zombie_donkey said:
How do I reset th VGA resolution so I can see it again?

What a pickle. I assume the DVD playback will not be upscaled through the Composite cable? My Sony DVD player uses that, although it does go wacky every now and then on progressive scan.

Fekkin technology, I'm buying a black and white portable and selling all my expensive junk. And when they turn off analogue TV I will sit in the woods, staring at a campfire.

1: Depends on what tv you have? Try 480 if you can get to the menu and that should show.

2: No it only upscales through vga.

3: Yep, sometimes I revel in the joy of watching a nice simple all consuming fire.:devil: (I'm not an arsonist, honest.):rolleyes:

zombie_donkey said:
Do you mean component? because composite is the worst connection you can have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom