1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VGA to Viera....Quality ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gedo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My Panny 42" Viera should be arriving soon and I have a question.....I have an HTPC with ATI X800 Pro graphics. The DVI connector is, and will continue, being used by my Sony Projector which leaves the std VGA connector available to connect my PC to the Viera.

My question is this.....would I be better to upgrade my graphics card to a dual DVI one or will the image quality via the std VGA connector be good enough ? The ATI card has a breakout box giving me component connections as well but I figure the VGA connection will be better than that option......correct ?

The long and short of it is that I don't want to replace the X800 if I don't have to as its got more than enough 'horsepower' for me.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    First, VGA (ie. RGB) and component produce effectively identical results PQ-wise, as I noted in a reply to someone else a day or two ago the only factor that may figure in your decision is that some displays only accept progressive (ie. non-interlaced) signals on their component inputs .. I don't know the Panny so can't say about that.

Second, in principle of course digital is better than analog so DVI is to be preferred when possible, however IMX the difference is hard to see if the display is decent .. it's the ability of the display to 'lock on' to the pixels in the analog signal that determines whether you get any 'noise' due to loss of sync.

If I were you I'd stick with what I have until I've seen the results, if they're satisfactory then why bother spending more money? :)

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    VGA from a PC into a viera looks fine. when messing with my parents' new one at the weekend the best results came from setting the resolution to 1280x768 and the input reolution (in the settings menu of the viera) to WXGA instead of XGA.

this will give you a bit of horizontal overscan but this can be fixed with powerstrip or the drivers of your video card (look to alter the front and back porch settings if you need to). the viera won't accept native resolution so this setup seems the best compromise.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well if the Viera won't accept native then any marginal improvement in PQ that digital may have over analog will be completely lost due to not being able to bypass the Viera's scaler so IMHO that means upgrading the XT800 would be a complete waste.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    agreed, and the panasonic's analogue inputs are reputed to be better than their digital ones any way.