VGA to VGA display disappeared

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Snash, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running MCE 2005 for a year now and so far it's been great, done what it says on the box etc and had a wholelot of help from reading the threads on here:thumbsup:

I have had to reinstall a couple of times due to my experimentation and the last time I thought I got it just right, however.....

I use the VGA to VGA connection from my ATi Radeon 9600 to my Toshiba 32WLT58 LCD tv which has worked a treat (Barring the 50Hz to 60Hz issue, which is bearable) until now. All of a sudden I get no display but do get the error message sound - don't know what the error is because I can't see the display.

I did manage to get a display once and saw an error message about colour depth but before I could fix it the display went blank again. I've tried DVI to HDMI but get a piddly little display and TV out to SCART doesn't show full colour and letterboxes dreadfully.

I'm guessing there's a driver issue (I'm using catalyst) but can't understand why it would work for a week then suddenly go blank. How the hell do I fix this? I've only just managed to train the wife how to use this and she loves the flexibility MCE has (phnarr) but she is now losing patience and making mutterings about Sky plus or Top up tv's offering.

Please help!

Cheers

Snash

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Do you get any display when booting? You should see something unless it's a hardware problem.

3. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Nigel.

Sometimes I get POST and it runs right through to showing a display then it disappears again. Tonight I actually got the display working for 10 minutes to check scheduled recordings before it went blank again.

I checked to see if there had been some automatic update that might have screwed somethin up but the last one was 14th April. I'm not even sure I've got the Catalyst settings correct but did notice it shows the display as being simply default VGA display rather than a TV.

4. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    If the card isn't POSTing normally then it sounds like a hardware problem. If the fan has failed & it is overheating (assuming it has a fan) that would be a typical cause of your problem. Again, if the fan is full of fluff it can overheat. I would open up the case take out the 9600, clean it up & reseat it carefully.

Have you another cable to try?

5. rcadey

rcadey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    if you are getting POST then press f8 repeatedly after the first beep and boot into windows safe mode. If it will do this then its probably the video driver at fault. From safe mode you can go back to a previous restore or uninstall the video drivers, reboot and investigate furthet

rob

6. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hardware was my first thought, given the intermittent nature of the fault, but with DVI and TV out both working (albeit at pants quality) I'm thinking that it could well be the cable as you suggest. I ahd dismissed that at an early stage given that no-one really goes round the back of the tv and a VGA to VGA cable ain't really that fragile and had been working for 18 months with no problem. Will see if I can blag something from the office.

The 9600 has passive cooling but I think I'll open the case anyway and reseat the graphics card after a clean.

Another thing to investigate - thanks. I did have a look yesterday when I managed to get about 10 minutes display but as I don't really know what I'm looking for in the Catalyst settings, and nothing seemed untoward, I was at a bit of a loss:(

7. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it seems I had a dodgy cable VGA to VGA. Got another one from the office and it seems to work fine. I did think for a while that it was because I'd forgotten to disable the power saving on the monitor but the original cable crached again so have replaced it.

Funny that a VGA cable should suddenyl give up the ghost when it's not been stressed or played with but hey ho just glad all is sorted.

Thanks for your help guys!

8. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's been hit or miss since I thought this solved the problem until it just decided to give no display at all for the last coupe of months:(

So I thought tonight I'd do a fresh install of MCE. All went swimingly well until I installed the Catalyst drivers from the ATI site 7.5 drivers for my Connect3D ATI 9600 and I got the same problem. I know at least know it's not my display as I got the problem on the standard Dell monitor I used for the reinstall. After installing the drivers I get no display, not even POST even though the pc itself is obviously running.

I'm really stumped here folks - any ideas?